Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vietnam:Imperial Hue city or trekking in Sapa

Options
  • 23-08-2018 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭

if you had to miss out on a tour in vietnam which one of these would you omit?Imperial Hue city or trekking in Sapa

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭letsgo2018

Is this good value for 1200 euro for a solo person

Day 1 Hanoi
    means car
    Arrival in Hanoi. We welcome and transfer you to hotel. Rest of the day is your leisure time to explore the city on your own.
    Overnight in Hanoi.
    Day 2 Hanoi
    means car
    Hanoi city tour. Visit some famous places in Hanoi that includes The Temple of Literature, Hoan Kiem lake, Ngoc Son Temple and Vietnam Museum of Ethnology.
    Take a cyclo tour for sightseeing around the Old Quarter of Hanoi.
    Overnight in Hanoi.
    (B,L)
    Day 3 Halong bay
    means boat cruise
    Morning, enjoy breakfast at hotel. We leave Hanoi for Halong bay around 8.00am. Upon arrival in Halong, embark and have delicous lunch onboard. We cruise through thousand amazing islands and islets during the lunch. After lunch, take a refresh in your room before visiting Surprising Cave, kayaking, swimming… Go back to the boat, get a drink and enjoy a sunset scenery in the bay.
    Overnight on boat in Halong bay.
    (B,L,D)
    Day 4 Halong bay
    means airplane
    Morning, breakfast on board. Cruise further and stop at a Pearl Farm village. Continue cruising through many island and islet to explore the hidden charm of the bay. Lunch on board while going back to the prier. Transfer back to Hanoi. Get to airport for flight to Hue. Overnight in Hue.
    (B,L)
    Day 5 Hue
    means car
    Hue city tour. Get a boat trip to Thien Mu Pagoda. We then continue our visit at the Citadel & Hue Royal Antiques museum. Visit Dong Ba Market and have lunch at a nearby restaurant.
    After lunch, visit tomb of King “Minh Mang” and Tomb of King “Khai Dinh”. Proceed our tour at a nearby village where people making incense stick and conical hat. After that, we transfer you to Hoi An
    Overnight in Hoi An.
    (B,L)
    Day 6 Hoi An
    means car
    Morning, visit My Son Sanctuary, a UNESCO World Heritage site. Afternoon, visit Hoi An town on foot: Hoi An’s Colorful Local Market, Tan Ky Old House, Fu Jian Assembly Hall, and the 400-year-old Japanese Covered Bridge.
    Overnight in Hoi An.
    (B,L)
    Day 7 Hoi An
    means car
    Breakfast at hotel. Your leisure time for walking around the Old Town for shopping and relax in Hoi An.
    Overnight in Hoi An.
    (B)
    Day 8 Nha Trang
    means airplane
    Morning, breakfast at hotel in Hoi An. Afternoon, check-out hotel, transfer to Danang airport for flight to Nha Trang. Overnight in Nha Trang.
    (B)
    Day 9 Nha Trang
    means walk
    Breakfast at hotel. Your leisure for relaxation at beach in Nha Trang.
    Overnight in Nha Trang.
    (B)
    ADD-ON: Join a day tour to dicover Nha Trang with Emperor Cruise. See detail here.
    Emperor Cruises‘ purpose is to bring you “Every Moment Experience” of being treated as kings and queens, indulging in services such as music, fine arts, architecture, culture, cuisines, history, and outdoor activities where everything is all included.
    Day 10 Nha Trang
    means walk
    Breakfast at hotel. Your leisure for relaxation at beach in Nha Trang.
    Overnight in Nha Trang.
    (B)
    Day 11 Ho Chi Minh
    means airplane
    Morning, enjoy breakfast at hotel. Spend your time at leisure in Nha Trang until we trasnfer you to airport for flight to Ho Chi Minh.
    Upon arrival in Ho Chi Minh, transfer to hotel for check-in. Rest of the day is your leisure time to explore the city on your own.
    Overnight in Ho Chi Minh.
    (B)
    Day 12 Ho Chi Minh
    means car
    Morning, enjoy breakfast at hotel. After that, take a city tour. Places to visit: The Re-Unification Palace, the Notre Dame Cathedral & the War Remnants Museum.
    Afternoon, leave the city for Cu Chi. Explore the Cu Chi Tunnel. Return the city.
    (B,L)
    Day 13 Mekong delta
    means car
    After breakfast at hotel, leave Ho Chi Minh for Ben Tre. Take a boat trip on Mekong river to a family business which epitomizes the idyllic rural lifestyle, walking through the fruit plantation village.
    Overnight in Can Tho.
    (B,L)
    Day 14 Mekong delta
    means boat cruise
    Around 6.30am, we pick you up to visit the Cai Rang floating market which is wholesale market of fruit and vegetable at its busiest at this time of the day. Keep cruising through the small channels system and visit a rice noodle making village. Experience the “Monkey Bridge” in the Delta.
    Break for lunch then return to Ho Chi Minh.
    (B,L)
    Day 15 Ho Chi Minh
    means car
    Enjoy breakfast at hotel.
    Spend your leisure time in the city until we transfer you to the airport for departure flight.
    (B)

Tour price includes

Domestic flights.
    Hotel accommodations as tour described.
    Room on boat in Halong bay.
    Kayakking: Safe, clean and beautiful.
    Aboard cookery demonstrations in Halong Bay.
    Boat trip in Hue and Mekong Delta.
    All meals mentioned (B,L,D = Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner).
    Transport as per tour program.
    English speaking guide.
    Entrance and sightseeing fees.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

It depends on what interests you really.

I did the Imperial Palace effectively as part of a stop-off between Hanoi and Saigon. I didn't do Sapa; just wasn't something that had been on my radar.

The Palace is good if you're into that sort of thing - don't miss the theatre shows - but it's not spectacular. Certainly it's not got the grandeur of European palaces for example. Some of it is still in ruins from the war. On the flip side, it's not as touristy as I'd imagine Sapa to be, and Hue is a good base for war tours in central Vietnam and for a trip to Hoi An.

So really I think it comes down to whether you prefer mountain hiking or temples. Both are probably worth it if you have time for both

cdeb wrote: »
    It depends on what interests you really.

I did the Imperial Palace effectively as part of a stop-off between Hanoi and Saigon. I didn't do Sapa; just wasn't something that had been on my radar.

The Palace is good if you're into that sort of thing - don't miss the theatre shows - but it's not spectacular. Certainly it's not got the grandeur of European palaces for example. Some of it is still in ruins from the war. On the flip side, it's not as touristy as I'd imagine Sapa to be, and Hue is a good base for war tours in central Vietnam and for a trip to Hoi An.

So really I think it comes down to whether you prefer mountain hiking or temples. Both are probably worth it if you have time for both

Do you think that tour is good value at 1200

Value is up to you to an extent. Also, I don't know if it includes the add-ons?

By way of comparison, I paid US$18 for a 12-hour day trip from Hué, including two meals, entrance fees to tunnels (not Cu Chi), guide and all transport. No accommodation or domestic transport of course. I think my accommodation in Hué - two-star local hotel, but perfectly fine at that, with breakfast included - was about €10 a night (converted from dong/dollars)

So Vietnam is inexpensive. You're looking in that tour at €1,200 for 10 days - €120/day (if add-ons are separate). Say the flights are €100 each - so €90 a day for the rest. You could arrange a lot of that yourself for probably half the price - you'd be staying in less pricey hotels and booking day trips on onward connections yourself (hotel/hostel receptions are very helpful for that), but certainly it's doable for, say, €50/day plus the flights. (And I've said before on here that domestic flights are to an extent a waste in Vietnam; you see so much more for cheaper from the train. But that's a side point)

On the plus side, it does seem to tick all the boxes for what you'd really want to see in Vietnam. Obviously there's the convenience of having everything organised as well.

I don't think a 15-day tour is for me - I prefer a bit of freedom when travelling. Others will of course have different views on that, presumably including yourself. Comparing to other tour operators (say, this one) indicates the price is quite comparable.

cdeb wrote: »
    Value is up to you to an extent. Also, I don't know if it includes the add-ons?

By way of comparison, I paid US$18 for a 12-hour day trip from Hué, including two meals, entrance fees to tunnels (not Cu Chi), guide and all transport. No accommodation or domestic transport of course. I think my accommodation in Hué - two-star local hotel, but perfectly fine at that, with breakfast included - was about €10 a night (converted from dong/dollars)

So Vietnam is inexpensive. You're looking in that tour at €1,200 for 10 days - €120/day (if add-ons are separate). Say the flights are €100 each - so €90 a day for the rest. You could arrange a lot of that yourself for probably half the price - you'd be staying in less pricey hotels and booking day trips on onward connections yourself (hotel/hostel receptions are very helpful for that), but certainly it's doable for, say, €50/day plus the flights. (And I've said before on here that domestic flights are to an extent a waste in Vietnam; you see so much more for cheaper from the train. But that's a side point)

On the plus side, it does seem to tick all the boxes for what you'd really want to see in Vietnam. Obviously there's the convenience of having everything organised as well.

I don't think a 15-day tour is for me - I prefer a bit of freedom when travelling. Others will of course have different views on that, presumably including yourself. Comparing to other tour operators (say, ) indicates the price is quite comparable.

Tour price includes

Domestic flights.
    English speaking guide.

• Advertisement

All very standard inclusions

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭steve-o

Ignoring the cost, if I was looking to cut something from that trip, it would be Nha Trang. It's just a sprawling strip of hotels by the sea and IMHO it would be a waste of 3 days and nights in such an otherwise amazing country.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

That's amazing value imo. Flights alone make over half the cost. Depends on the standard of hotel though but I think you'd struggle to put that itinerary together for that price.

Hue is impressive but oppressive in a way, the Citadel is stunning but the town is odd, very 1980s Russia was our take on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

If I had to choose between Hue and Sapa then Sapa any day of the week. Hue doesnt really have anything you wont see in other cities in Vietnam.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Muahahaha wrote: »
    If I had to choose between Hue and Sapa then Sapa any day of the week. Hue doesnt really have anything you wont see in other cities in Vietnam.

The Citadel!

• Advertisement

Are there any domestic airlines in South East Asia. You would avoid ?

Went with sapa option

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

letsgo2018 wrote: »
    Are there any domestic airlines in South East Asia. You would avoid ?

Vietjet stick with Vietnam airlines

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Sapa all the way even though at the moment it's a mass construction site. Make sure you ignore the hordes of kids who'll be trying to engage you for the first few hours or they'll follow you around for three days straight. Bring good hiking shoes, I've done hikes all over but that is certainly not one I would fancy in the rain which is quite likely at this time of year. Also consider Phong Nha instead of Nha Trang, the caves around there are amazing. If you're bound for Nha Trang regardless my best piece of advice would be to get up at the crack of dawn and go down to the beachfront. All the locals like to get their exercise and business done before the hordes of tourists converge, you'll hear Vietnamese music blaring from hifi systems and the most amusing group fitness classes going on every 100m!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

steve-o wrote: »
    Ignoring the cost, if I was looking to cut something from that trip, it would be Nha Trang. It's just a sprawling strip of hotels by the sea and IMHO it would be a waste of 3 days and nights in such an otherwise amazing country.

Yeah good advice. Nha Trang was nothing special. Beach was decent though. Would spend more time in Hoi An to be honest. Found it very relaxing there.
    Muahahaha wrote: »

+1 for Sapa. Fantastic scenery on the hikes there. We got the overnight train from Hanoi which was a great experience!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,587 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

letsgo2018 wrote: »
    Tour price includes

Domestic flights.
    English speaking guide.
    Caranica wrote: »
    That's amazing value imo. Flights alone make over half the cost. Depends on the standard of hotel though but I think you'd struggle to put that itinerary together for that price.

Hue is impressive but oppressive in a way, the Citadel is stunning but the town is odd, very 1980s Russia was our take on it.

Flights are internal only which would cost €80-€100 with luggage. Caranica not trying to call your post out just want to make sure the OP understands what they are getting.

Also this does not seem correct in the itinerary:

Day 4 Halong bay
    means airplane
    Morning, breakfast on board. Cruise further and stop at a Pearl Farm village. Continue cruising through many island and islet to explore the hidden charm of the bay. Lunch on board while going back to the prier. Transfer back to Hanoi. Get to airport for flight to Hue. Overnight in Hue.

On your original question OP it would depend on the time of year you plan to travel and weather conditions. Here is a good site to give a basic guide. https://www.selectiveasia.com/vietnam-holidays/weather I havent been to Sapa yet due to time constrainets but if trekking is your thing and its the right time of year, like anywhere in Vietname im sure it will be amazing.

Also a quick note make sure to have your visa arranged before your international flight to Vietnam.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

Saps is amazing, Hue was quite dull in mya opinion. We spent two days there and one day would certainly have been enough.

Advertisement