Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cancelled connecting flight - options

Options
  • 23-08-2018 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭

If I have a connecting flight with airline A (cost €100) and they cancel my flight due to a pilot strike and I book an alternative flight with airline B (cost €250) to be able to make my connecting flight will airline A be responsible for the extra €150 I had to pay?

My travel insurance with allianz does not cover this scenario.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Noxegon

If you have a *connecting* flight, where you have a single booking involving two flights, then your airline will reroute you.

If you have booked two standalone flights – from A->B then B->C and your A->B has been cancelled – then you are on your own in this scenario.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭vectorvictor

The law says that the airline A must reroute you at the earliest possible opportunity although helpfully doesn't limit that. Self rebooking *should* be permitted and there have been cases where judges have found it is reasonable in the event that the airline A failed to reaccomodate you. However, the airline must be given that opportunity, you can't just do it yourself. If you can prove you offered them that opportunity, they declined and you were left on your own then you may have a case. You would need a screenshot of chat , email etc. from where they refused ideally.

In reality the airline are likely to deny and in any case accepting or applying for a refund for the cancelled flight, if done prior to boarding flight B, you have absolved them of any liability under EU261.

If you fancy a day out it could be worth challenging with a small claims application as the airline would find it cheaper to pay than defend.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭KBD85

So I should not apply for a refund before boarding flight B?

Booked through lastminute.com - 2 legs with different airlines.

KBD85 wrote: »
    So I should not apply for a refund before boarding flight B?

Booked through lastminute.com - 2 legs with different airlines.

Applying for a refund waives your rights to recourse in most cases.

Has this already happened ?

I'm assuming you chose a self connect option (with the responsibility sitting with you if it goes wrong) but do double check its not all on one ticket as this would make it the travel agencys problem

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭KBD85

It's a precaution as I'm flying with Air France at a time they plan to strike if they don't get their way.

It is all on one ticket so could be interesting to see what the agency's take on this is.

It is something I was wondering about rather than worried about but if it happens it will be at short notice so good to have the knowledge now and in future.

• Advertisement

It's a precaution as I'm flying with Air France at a time they plan to strike if they don't get their way.

It is all on one ticket so could be interesting to see what the agency's take on this is.

It is something I was wondering about rather than worried about but if it happens it will be at short notice so good to have the knowledge now and in future.

You are protected for rebooking if it is the one ticket . If your routing for example was Dublin to Paris with Aer Lingus and Paris to Xyz with Air France then you may find yourself rebooked Dublin to Amsterdam with Aer Lingus and Amsterdam to Xyz with Klm (partner of AF)

Generally it will be proactively done before day of departure but if not the airport staff in Dublin or Paris will have full authority to rebook you without you incurring any costs

• Registered Users Posts: 10,186 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

You need to check the terms of the ticket very carefully. If it is all one ticket then flight B may not be available to you if flight A does not run. If flight A is cancelled and it is a single ticket then airline B may “protect” that second sector for you if it’s sorted out in advance but don’t just turn up at the intermediate airport and assume you can get on flight B. You should be entitled to it but the system may need to be adjusted for the non flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭steve-o

If a strike looks likely, Air France will allow free rebookings onto other Air France, KLM or partner flights a few days beforehand (you'll need to call lastminute.com to make the change). If you don't rebook and the strike happens, Air France will rebook you on the day onto any available flight (even competitors), but that depends on what other options are available from Dublin to your destination.

But also check which airline is operating your flight. Cityjet operate many flights for them from Dublin, and they won't be part of the strike, so are less likely to experience disruption, but there's always a chance a Dublin plane will be commandeered for another route on the day.

As others have said, do not book another first leg and show up Paris expecting to get on the second leg.

Advertisement