Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cracking paint on Window boards

Options
  • 22-08-2018 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭

ive started painting window boards in a new build. The boards are MDF. they came primed. i undercoated them with dulux primer and then finished in top coat of satin wood.. they are all cracking now.. any ideas what ive done wrong or should i use a different paint??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 FortunaMan

I recently done exact same job with dulux satinwood water based and same primer. All windows boards took minimum of 1 undercoat and 2 topcoats with a good sand between each coat. Doing some new doors at the moment that are also pre primed and same process required (3 coats) for a good finish. It's a pain but in my opinion it's worth it and I am delighted with the finish. I had same cracking appear after 1st top coat on my first window. I thinned the paint with 10% water. I know some people advise against it but it's made it easier to work with and is providing a nice finish.

Advertisement