Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

European Ryder Cup Venues

Options
  • 22-08-2018 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭

Why never on a Links course?

Seems very odd to me - why give them a level playing field?

Gentleman's agreement that it will be parkland ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,764 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Gentleman's agreement that it will be parkland ?

Yeah I'd imagine so, also most links courses wouldn't be able to handle the large crowds which the ryder cup gets.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

Its strange that nobody ever mentions it on Sky, media etc.....
    I would love to know the story behind the decision

And didn't Europe lose vast majority of Ryder Cups before 1985?
    It's odd that they didn't insist on a Links course during the bad run

Not sure about the crowd stuff, doesn't effect the Open every year

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Russman

Down to finance at the end of the day. Look at the efforts the K Club made (hosting the European Open for donkeys years) before they got awarded their Ryder Cup. Its never going to be on a links.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭Ronney

Second that on the crowd point. I would hazard a guess that spectator numbers are alot less than a normal comp too as they only have 4 groups out first 2 days and 12 the Sunday.

When it was GB & I in the 70's was played on links a good few times Lytham, Birkdale x2 and Muirfield.

Only in Europe every 4 years, This will be the 8th time in the last 30 years!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

You'd think that but since 1995 Europe have had 7 Open Champions (Lawrie, Paddy X 2, Darren, Rory, Henrik and this year Francesco) versus 14 US victories.
    Just looking at this year the US had 7 places up to tied 9th versus European 4.

It's a myth the US can't play links.

In any case the Albatros course is as links style inland as you can get, the bunkers and mounds are everywhere.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Russman wrote: »
    Down to finance at the end of the day. Look at the efforts the K Club made (hosting the European Open for donkeys years) before they got awarded their Ryder Cup. Its never going to be on a links.

Absolutely all about the shekels. The European Tour makes losses most years I think, used to anyway, and relies on the profits of Ryder Cup year every 4 years to sustain it through the blank years. Not sure too many links courses would be hugely ecstatic about putting themselves through the long-winded logistical mambo jambo anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭Ronney

slave1 wrote: »
    You'd think that but since 1995 Europe have had 7 Open Champions (Lawrie, Paddy X 2, Darren, Rory, Henrik and this year Francesco) versus 14 US victories.
    Just looking at this year the US had 7 places up to tied 9th versus European 4.

It's a myth the US can't play links.

In any case the Albatros course is as links style inland as you can get, the bunkers and mounds are everywhere.

Heard an Interview with Justin Thomas and he said he only hit 7 drivers in 72 holes of the French Open. Essentially everyone could be hitting in from similar range.

There is a good interview with Azinger on the No Laying up Pod cast a few months back. Gives a really good in site in to the US Ryder cup team selection and how they changed things to try replicate the natural bond we have of Spaniards playing together etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

Lytham and st annes, royal Birkdale, muirfield, Southport and ainsdale hosted Ryder cups, admittedly prior to 1979 when gb&I became the European team.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Why would links be such an advantage?

There have been more American winners of opens than any other nation.
    They come over and never seem to have any issue with the courses with some of them even staying and playing in the states before the open the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,870 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

ForeRight wrote: »
    Why would links be such an advantage?

There have been more American winners of opens than any other nation.
    They come over and never seem to have any issue with the courses with some of them even staying and playing in the states before the open the last few years.

I was just going to post the same.
    Who ever said that Links courses will give Europeans an advantage?
    We are talking about the best golfers in the world, these guys can play anywhere.
    Sure anyway links courses is ruling out virtually every bit of Europe with the exception of a tiny little corner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,764 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Americans are good on links, I'd imagine the advantage the Europeans would have is playing in awful weather which is what links usually provides. Even at that the advantage would be minimal.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 15,870 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

i'm sure they get just as much rain & bad weather in america as we do in europe

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

I guess as the Europe team is more continental now than ever there is the desire to have a rota style among the continental countries i.e. next one is in France, then Italy in 2022. It would make sense to have the matches on a parkland in such countries to keep the venue closer to metropolitan areas given that the infrastructure will assist more so than a quirky Italian links course 50 miles from anywhere. Interestingly, the Walker Cup matches in GB&I are always played on links and while the US still win on the links the GB&I teams have won the last 2 home matches so there is that argument for the Ryder Cup but as mentioned it is all about the financing and rightly maximizing revenue.

Advertisement