Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

17 in college?

Options
  • 22-08-2018 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

College is starting in two weeks and I’m probably one of a minority’s that will be 17. If anyone has been 17 for their first year I was wondering what was your experience like? Was it harder to make friends because you couldnt get into clubs or any of the events especially since all of the fresher events are 18+. Also does trinity su run events that aren’t always 18+? I know everyone says im young etc. but it’s because I skipped ty and also I’m ready for college and age is just a number, I’m just wondering what nights out are like and people’s experiences apart from fake id’s!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭TheBully

Katnissk wrote: »
    College is starting in two weeks and I’m probably one of a minority’s that will be 17. If anyone has been 17 for their first year I was wondering what was your experience like? Was it harder to make friends because you couldnt get into clubs or any of the events especially since all of the fresher events are 18+. Also does trinity su run events that aren’t always 18+? I know everyone says im young etc. but it’s because I skipped ty and also I’m ready for college and age is just a number, I’m just wondering what nights out are like and people’s experiences apart from fake id’s!

I went to college at 17, was never an issue! I used my student ID on nights out to student pubs! Most people were not looking closely enough or couldn’t calculate the age in their head

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭homosapien91

I was 17 when I started college, good few years ago now ha but it was never an issue for me I used my student ID which the bouncers in bars & clubs hardly even looked at, I do remember having to get one of my 18 year old friends to buy cigarettes for me but that was the only issue! You'll be grand :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Was 16 myself for the first couple of months, it not ideal but you get around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

Would just like to point out that Trinity ID doesn't have your date of birth on it, so you can't use that as ID at any bars/clubs.

None of the events on campus ever check for ID AFAIK. But that said, tbh not going to any of the nights out won't affect you that badly. Like people don't really make friends from the nights out. They make friends from the societies, clubs, classmates and things that are on during the day more so. If you think about it, people don't really chat to one another in clubs, it's more about going out for a bop or trying to pull.

Don't worry about being 17! It really won't affect you that badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,068 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Things like the fresher events and other SU-run events are a tiny, tiny fraction of the social scene at college. Being under 18 is only going to have a marginal impact on your ability to participate in social events in college. I wouldn't worry about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Qrt

TCD cards say “U-18” on them if you’re under 18 while starting college.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,072 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

TheBully wrote: »
    I went to college at 17, was never an issue! I used my student ID on nights out to student pubs! Most people were not looking closely enough or couldn’t calculate the age in their head

Yeah but that was so long ago that their difficulty calculating your age was due to there being no year "0" between "1 BC" and "1 AD".

Advertisement