Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outside bar pool slate project help...

Options
  • 22-08-2018 9:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭

Here's one for ye. I had the idea to make a stand up bar/counter to go beside my barbeque on the patio.

It's a relatively simple design, with two pallets standing back to back (secured together and to the wall) with a counter on top.

The counter could be made from a variety of materials, but I have, at my disposal, slate from a pool table. Now I can cut this to size, but my question is what's the best way to go about fixing this to the pallets, other than just drilling holes in it and driving screws through.

I had thought to secure some 1/2" ply to the pallets, and then bond the slate to the ply, but what to use as a bonding agent?

Any suggestions would be most welcome

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

cletus wrote: »
    Here's one for ye. I had the idea to make a stand up bar/counter to go beside my barbeque on the patio.

It's a relatively simple design, with two pallets standing back to back (secured together and to the wall) with a counter on top.

The counter could be made from a variety of materials, but I have, at my disposal, slate from a pool table. Now I can cut this to size, but my question is what's the best way to go about fixing this to the pallets, other than just drilling holes in it and driving screws through.

I had thought to secure some 1/2" ply to the pallets, and then bond the slate to the ply, but what to use as a bonding agent?

Any suggestions would be most welcome

Maybe cut the ply an inch wider all the way around, or at least 3 sides, screw down a 1 inch by one inch up-stand and just seat the slate there in: easy to remove.
    PS: you will need a chop saw to cut the mitred corners:D

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭cletus

Calahonda, thanks for the reply, saw it earlier but only getting back now.

I'm definitely considering your idea, but not sure yet, still think I'd like just the slate as the bar top. Do you reckon Tek7 would do the job?

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭jimbev

Exterior flexible tile adhesive

Advertisement