Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Toyota Avensis gear/transmission oil spec

Options
  • 22-08-2018 12:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

Hello folks i have a 2008 toyota avensis 2.0 d4d 6 speed 126bhp and was wondering what oil to use local mechanic said to use 75w 90 gear oil but im not sure what one to get and also i it has to be api gl 4 or api gl 5 or does it matter? Also what brands to choose like the look of mobil 1 and the castrol syntrans?

will probablygo for toyota genuine 5w30 fully syntetic for the engine oil change.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

hunter701 wrote: »
    Hello folks i have a 2008 toyota avensis 2.0 d4d 6 speed 126bhp and was wondering what oil to use local mechanic said to use 75w 90 gear oil but im not sure what one to get and also i it has to be api gl 4 or api gl 5 or does it matter? Also what brands to choose like the look of mobil 1 and the castrol syntrans?

will probablygo for toyota genuine 5w30 fully syntetic for the engine oil change.

Why not just buy the gearbox oil from Toyota at the same time?
    It would make more sense than trying another possibly worse oil?

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Pops_20

You need 75W-90, API GL-4.

Make sure it's GL-4, as GL-5 is not compatible with the metals (brass etc) used in the synchromeshes in the transmission.

If you're going to Toyota to get the engine oil then might as well go genuine for the gearbox while you're there.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭hunter701

Pops_20 wrote: »

Make sure it's GL-4, as GL-5 is not compatible with the metals (brass etc) used in the synchromeshes in the transmission.

If you're going to Toyota to get the engine oil then might as well go genuine for the gearbox while you're there.

I was thinking moreso castrol syntrans 75w90 ??

Toyota aren't that expensive for fluids last time I bought some from them, their oils are designed for their gearboxes so it makes sense to use them.
    Gearboxes are funny things, and respond well to certain oils and not others.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭hunter701

Pops_20 wrote: »

any idea on the interval seem to be getting very mixed opinions on how often to change the gear oil in toyota avensis some say every service 10000miles others say 30000miles and some say as much as 60000miles i do a lot of shifting up and down gears in the 250 to 280 miles a week i do in the car i just done the oil fuel pollen air filters tday and oil change will do all the pads tomorrow and a powersteering fluid change and gearbox oil change next week.

• Advertisement

Try this schedule.

Advertisement