Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gun dog trainers

Options
  • 21-08-2018 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hi I’m looking for a gun dog trainer that works with HPR’s. I’m not looking to send the dog away. More so someone to meet up with that can tell me how we’re coming along. Give some advice on any issues and generally just to pick there brain. This will be my first gun dog that I would have personally trained. I’m living in Ashbourne, Meath and am willing to travel

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭airsoft tactics

Hi,
    Let me ask you what breed your dog?
    "Give some advice on any issues and generally just to pick their brain" could you please explain more about Issues, pick their Brain ?

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭airsoft tactics

To be honest, it's kind of difficult, give any training advise if you will see trainer just for few times. Again, the trainer makes a money for a living when he sells his skills. Will be he really interested, give you any advice for free?
    In my opinion right now you can find lot's of good books about gun dog training and lots of good YouTube videos which you can analyze and adopt for your dog training.
    Based on my 5 years experience training my dog, first what you need it's making a plan for yourself what you want from your dog and on whom the dog will be hunting.
    Try to start from command when you can control your dog (recall, stop, change direction) Its very important because if your dog don't want listen to you, more likely he or she will be out of your control in a hunting environment.
    This is where it's can start being very messy. Lots of bad issues will be created and it will take much more time to try fixing dog behavior.
    From information which you gave us I would say: your plan what you want from your dog, repetition, consistency, positive reinforcement, patience and everyday work out with your dog, this is what you need to make him really good working gun dog.

Advertisement