Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to the UK

Options
  • 21-08-2018 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi all, just looking for advice from those who have relocated to the UK/currently residing there etc.

I have been planning on moving to the UK for the past two years. The UK is my only logical next step for me in terms of my career (college grad), there's nothing in Ireland for me and I knew this.
    Anyway, I'm planning on making the move in the new year, and have a few basic questions that I've been having a hard time finding the answers to:

In the most basic sense, how do you actually go about doing this? Should I be applying for jobs from Ireland, flying over and back for interviews, then only moving once I secure something?
    Or should I just go over there with money to tide me over and hope for the best? I feel like it would be hard to get a job while not being there, but maybe I'm wrong?

Also, roughly how much money would I need? I'm in a terrible catch 22 right now where I can't get work in Ireland to save for the move, so realistically I'd be looking at trying to secure a loan to get me going.. how much is generally recommended? I know it depends on the city or whatever, but a rough estimate would suffice!

That's all my questions for now,

Thanks!!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭Dave0301

Applying for jobs and attending interviews will be more straight forward if you have a UK address and are living there. It will also mean it is easier to get a National Insurance number, as well as open a UK bank account.

You will obviously need enough money to find accommodation and to pay living expenses until you find employment though. Most landlords/estate agents require a month's rent up front as well as a deposit. You would also need to decide on a place to live. Large urban areas you may be able to rent a room (look up spareroom).

If you are looking at London you would need around £3000 assuming you find a job quickly and are willing to share accommodation. Half to two thirds of that amount could end up going on accommodation/travel expenses. The amount you need would also depend on when your new employer decides to pay you.

Would joining some recruitment agencies be feasible? They may be able to line up a couple of interviews over the course of a few days so that you can arrange to fly over.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 skankrandy

Hey, I'm living in the UK at the minute and have been for a year. Not in a big city by any means but its just where the job I wanted happened to be and I moved over specifically for it.
    I was living at home applying for jobs and interviews weren't an issue. It might vary industry to industry, but any places I was in contact with were always happy to do interviews over Skype. It was always their suggestion, not mine. I don't think a UK address will make it any easier since most of the job search is done by email anyway. 

National Insurance number was no issue to get, my employer gave me a form to fill out on my first day and I had the number like a week later so I don't think that's anything to worry about either. The bank account is likely more of an issue. If you live near the border you can do what I did and set one up there. Most of the banks were willing to set up an account with an Irish address that you could then change later on. I know Santander don't and were pretty rude about it, but everyone else was sound.

As I said, I moved over when I had the job lined up, so that requires a lot less savings going over. Like Dave said above, money for rent and a deposit are the obvious ones. Transport is worth factoring in and not just what it would appear you'd need judging by trains/buses etc. When I started my job we worked night hours and had to rely on taxis quite a bit in the first week or two. Other expenses would be a few furnishings and essentials for your accommodation, again, standard stuff. Worth factoring in that if its the kind of job where they take in a lot of people at one time, or even if it isn't, the first few weeks can be filled with a lot of going out and meeting people so its worth having extra cash for that. Doesn't sound essential, but it'll make settling in a lot easier.

I worked a ****ty job in a call centre so that made it a lot easier for me when it came to moving. Wouldn't really know the story with loans and that.
    Hope this helps!

Advertisement