Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Employer refusing to pay into N26 Bank Account

Options
  • 21-08-2018 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I recently opened a bank account with N26 and after being impressed with the service, I have decided to use it as my main account. With this in mind, I contacted my HR division, asking them to update my bank account details. A few days later I received a response, denying my request because it is not an Irish bank. According to EU Regulation 260/2012, a payer refusing to pay a foreign SEPA account is considered 'IBAN Discrimination', but is payroll any different?

I challenged their response, mentioning that N26 is regulated by the CBI and ICB but they are insisting they can't and stonewalling me.

Any ideas? I would like to pursue it but not sure where I stand.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,161 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

There is no real enforcement or penalty in Irish Law for companies refusing to comply.

You can only ask them again and see if this is down to a.) them not knowing how to do it or b.) using outdated payroll software that can't cope with IBAN and only takes account/sort code that then is via a 3rd party converted into IBAN before given to the bank.

For a.) it's often a quick discussion with the right person for b.) it's not that easy, despite IBAN in for years now some software is still not able to do it.

Ask again very polite and see what the blocker is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

There's no technical difficulty in doing this or extra cost to them. It's just some jobsworth deciding to implement rules that don't exist. I've seen it a few times.

The ECB really needs to tackle it as it's not unique to Ireland either. I know it's happening in France and Belgium too. It's mostly lack of familiarly / information.

Advertisement