Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boiler wouldn't boost last night.

Options
  • 21-08-2018 8:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭

Being boosting for an hour daily over the summer just for hot water but nothing happens when I try now, nothing.

Boiler is a 4yr old Myson mynute out in a boilerhouse and service annually.

I am trying to narrow down if I need my rgii man or an electrician.

I'm leaning towards an electrician because the boiler control panel screen
    is not active so I can't even try resetting the boiler or see if any fault codes show.

I'm guessing the fault is with the roomstat (sunvic tml) or the timer control unit (grasslin QE1) in the hall.

Am I thinking in the right direction lads, that its an electrician I need.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

I would suggest an RGI. He should be competent in the electrics involved in running the boiler. Ask that question when booking.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Courtn2

Sorry if you’ve already checked, but given the boiler display is not active, could it just be a trip switch?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Courtn2 wrote: »
    Sorry if you’ve already checked, but given the boiler display is not active, could it just be a trip switch?

Your grand and thanks but it hasn't tripped.

There is power of sorts in the boilerhouse as the neon light on the on/off wall socket switch is lighting. But I think this only provides frost protection for the boiler and not the main power line but I may be wrong on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

danjo-xx wrote: »
    Being boosting for an hour daily over the summer just for hot water but nothing happens when I try now, nothing.

Boiler is a 4yr old Myson mynute out in a boilerhouse and service annually.

I am trying to narrow down if I need my rgii man or an electrician.

I'm leaning towards an electrician because the boiler control panel screen
    is not active so I can't even try resetting the boiler or see if any fault codes show.

I'm guessing the fault is with the roomstat (sunvic tml) or the timer control unit (grasslin QE1) in the hall.

Am I thinking in the right direction lads, that its an electrician I need.

Myson don't make Mynute, its a Vokera model.
    Need to get your RGI man out as he should be able to check all the peripheral controls as well as anything inside the boiler.
    An electrician cannot check inside the boiler.

If it was a boiler fault should it not display a fault code.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭John.G

You would think it should but just start at the programmer, ensure that it is powered up first, then..... when you press the boost button (for hot water) can you see if the cylinder motorized valve is opening (some of the actuators also have a indicating neon light to tell you that it has been commanded to open), if it is operating then there may be a fault with the limit switch. Have you tried boosting one of the rooms after first turning up the thermostat high and see if its motorized valve is operating?. If this/these tests are OK then it may be the switched supply to the boiler that's at fault.

I have a basic system, no motororised valves or zones.

System boiler that heats the rads and the cylinder in the hot press.

Vokera Mynute i20.

Going back to basics:

Boiler stopped working.

Went into boilerhouse and no sign of life or sounds at all.

Display panel on boiler is blacked out.

I turned the power on and display panel still blacked out.

Turned the temp setting knob (only one on it) to see if this would turn the display panel on but no joy.

I can't get any info from the boiler display panel,
    and can't even reset the boiler.

What type of time clock do you have, is there an indicator to say its on?
    Do you have a room thermostat, have you tried turning it up full?
    If all these are looking to be in order and no sign of life at the boiler, then it time for a RGI familiar with the model and fault finding.

No, if the internal circuitry is burnt out you will have no display of any sort.

K.Flyer wrote: »
    What type of time clock do you have, is there an indicator to say its on?
    Do you have a room thermostat, have you tried turning it up full?
    If all these are looking to be in order and no sign of life at the boiler, then it time for a RGI familiar with the model and fault finding.

No, if the internal circuitry is burnt out you will have no display of any sort.

If by time clock you mean the programme controller then its a grasslin QE1
    and yes the red indicator lights up to show it's on. Apart from the boost option I've tried the advance and constant positions but no joy.

I have the hall thermostat up full, must check it with a phase tester to see if power is passing through it.

As you say it could be a boiler fault but I want to eliminate the hall thermostat and the programmer first.

thanks for your help with this.

No cause could be found for this total
    shut down but we're up n running again. For how long now that is the question.

• Advertisement

Out of curiosity, when the time clock is OFF, do you still have a illuminated display or light on the boiler?

Advertisement