Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contract ending soon , do vodafone have a download limit?

Options
  • 21-08-2018 7:58pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So my contract with eir is up in a few weeks and its time to look elsewhere.
    Im with eir fibre , speeds are great the service had a few down times one over 10 days and no amount of calls would hurry them.

All thats available in the area is sky [never again] and vodafone, while they are all just resold eir service are any of them totally unlimted?
    I want to get 4k netflix without worry of going over any invisible download limit.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

I don't know where you checked, but there are a lot more providers offering VDSL ( Often mislabelled as fibre or efibre)

Here is the list: https://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/where-to-buy/

Also, Vodafone have a 1 TB fair use policy. On VDSL/FTTC it may even be lower.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Poulgorm

Marlow wrote: »
    I don't know where you checked, but there are a lot more providers offering VDSL ( Often mislabelled as fibre or efibre)

Here is the list: https://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/where-to-buy/

Also, Vodafone have a 1 TB fair use policy. On VDSL/FTTC it may even be lower.

/M

I queried that recently, over on "Talk to Vodafone": I am on their Home Essentials FTTC package.

This is the answer I got:

Hi there,

There is no set usage limit for our home broadband services.

However, excessive usage may be capped on a case by case basis. Customers will be notified if this occurs.

Thanks,
    Liam

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Poulgorm wrote: »
    I queried that recently, over on "Talk to Vodafone": I am on their Home Essentials FTTC package.

https://n.vodafone.ie/terms/fixed.html
    Vodafone Fixed Telecommunications and Broadband General Terms

From 2nd July 2018 new Vodafone Home customers can sign up to any combination of Vodafone Home products for €40 a month for the first 6 months. Existing Vodafone Home customers can upgrade to Vodafone TV to avail of this offer. Subject to 18- month contract. Price after 6 months’ promotional period varies depending on package chosen. Gigabit Broadband Experience 1000 customers can sign up to Vodafone Gigabit Broadband speeds of up to 1GB for an introductory offer of €25 a month for the first 6 months. Subject to 18-month contract. Customer will receive up to 1GB speeds for 18 months. Gigabit Broadband Experience 1000 price based on promotional price and thereafter price of the Gigabit 150 product at time of sign up. Customers who currently have Gigabit Broadband are not eligible for the offer. Once out of contract the customer will be defaulted to 150mbps product and its corresponding price at the time. Offers ends 31 August 2018. Speeds based on maximum attainable download speed subject to network coverage, customer device capability and service usage. Minimum Vodafone Broadband connection fixed speed of 5Mbps required for Simply Broadband, minimum of 20Mbps required for Vodafone TV and minimum of 28Mbps required for Wireless Multiroom. Fair usage policies apply. For full terms and conditions, please see vodafone.ie
    FAIR USAGE

31. Vodafone operates a fair usage policy (FUP). It is important to Vodafone that all eligible Vodafone customers are able to access our Services. Accordingly, we have devised a FUP which applies to all our Services. Vodafone may rely on this fair use policy where your usage of the Services is excessive or unreasonable as detailed in this paragraph. Vodafone has developed a threshold for the Services and the related tariffs by reference to average customer profiles and estimated customer usage of the Services (particularly the estimated volume and length of calls likely to be made and data used by end users) (the “Threshold”). If, at the absolute discretion of Vodafone, Vodafone is of the opinion, that your usage of the Services materially exceeds the Threshold over any month, Vodafone may contact you to advise you that your usage exceeds its fair use policy. If the excessive usage continues to exceed the Threshold after receipt of a request to desist from or alter the nature of such usage, Vodafone reserves the right to charge you for the excessive element of your usage at your price plan's standard rate or to suspend, at its absolute discretion, modify or restrict your use of the Service or to withdraw your access to the Services entirely.

It's impossible to find, what this Fair Use Policy for their FTTC products entail.

For their Gigabit Broadband product (SIRO), which is superior, it entails this:
    FAIR USAGE

15. The fair usage cap for data usage on the Gigabit Broadband Service is 1000 GB over the course of any given billable month. If you exceed the fair usage cap for data on more than two (2) occasions in any calendar year then Vodafone may terminate or suspend your Gigabit Broadband Service. Vodafone will proactively contact you in advance of any suspension or termination.

So you can assume it's the same or less for VDSL/FTTC.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Eir recently made some changes to their terms & conditions, so it might be worth while checking if their FUP still applies to a new contract for FTTC.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Eir recently made some changes to their terms & conditions, so it might be worth while checking if their FUP still applies to a new contract for FTTC.

Yes im trying to get an eir rep over on their page to look into this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭2 Scoops

We talked before on my old boards account about Eir back when they had the congestion problems and the other options available etc. I tried pretty much all of them, vodafone were an absolute nightmare and their network was a mess. It wasn't just resold Eir, they had their own entire network. I eventually got out of the contract after 2 months and have been back with Eir since then.

Ring up Eir and negotiate, I got my bill down to 40e a month.

Advertisement