Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

John le Carré’s The Little Drummer Girl - Event Series - AMC (**Spoilers**)

Options
  • 21-08-2018 6:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60,480 ✭✭✭✭

Love a good John le Carré and with AMC money along with an all star cast and with Park Chan-wook directing, This is one to look forward too.

AMC has announced that the three-night event will kick off on Monday, Nov. 19 at 9/8c, then continue on Tuesday, Nov. 20 and Wednesday, Nov. 21, airing for two hours a pop
    Blurring the fine lines between love and hate, truth and fiction, and right and wrong, The Little Drummer Girl “weaves a suspenseful and explosive story of espionage and high-stakes international intrigue.” Set in the late 1970s, the miniseries follows Charlie (Lady Macbeth‘s Florence Pugh), a fiery actress and idealist whose resolve is tested after she meets the mysterious Becker (Big Little Lies Emmy winner Alexander Skarsgård) while on holiday in Greece.

It quickly becomes apparent that Becker’s intentions are not what they seem, and Charlie’s encounter with him entangles her in a complex plot devised by the spy mastermind Kurtz (The Shape of Water‘s Michael Shannon). Charlie in turn takes on the role of a lifetime as a double agent while remaining uncertain of her own loyalties.

The Little Drummer Girl hails from the executive producers of the Emmy-winning The Night Manager and marks the television debut of filmmaker Park Chan-wook (Oldboy, The Handmaiden).

https://tvline.com/2018/08/21/little-drummer-girl-amc-miniseries-premiere-date/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,480 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Will also be on the BBC.

“The Little Drummer Girl” will air November 19-21 on AMC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

So drop the spoilers (assuming anyone is interested), why **** it up for the BBC viewers like me?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,673 ✭✭✭brian_t

Starts on BBC One on Sunday October 28th at 9pm

• Registered Users Posts: 9,367 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

It's on here before it's on AMC? Nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭neris

Is anyone else watching this or tried watching it? Watched the first two epidodes and its a very hard story line to follow and from looking at twitter it doesnt seem to be getting much love or interest on there. Le Carres books arent always the easiest to follow and they seem to have litterally copied this exactly as it is in the book and taken no deviations to make it more viewer friendly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,642 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

I loved the book: but there's no denying that Le Carré can be very cryptic.

Once I had figured out the cynicism of the plot, I was horrified - and hooked.

The Secret Service so merciless, so brutal. Willing to throw anyone to the wolves if it will serve their ends. Which to be fair, are serious security issues - terrorist bombing, in this case.

There's a plot summary on Wikipedia #warning, spoiler

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Little_Drummer_Girl

• Registered Users Posts: 6,673 ✭✭✭brian_t

The Guardian do a blog on it after each episode airs which might help folks follow it a bit better.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2018/nov/04/the-little-drummer-girl-recap-episode-two-the-cast-assemble-the-plot-thickens

• Registered Users Posts: 85,764 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Even the always excellent Michael Shannon or hot Alexander Skarsgard can't keep me watching :o:P

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Threads merged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Patience is needed I think with it's labyrinthine story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,258 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Meh

• Registered Users Posts: 13,419 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

Very interesting so far.
    If just a little bit slow.

Hopefully the intriguing exposition will knit together - and make it worthwhile.
    Being based on a Le Carre novel, you would expect excellent storytelling. And so far so good.

Michael Shannon is a superb actor.

Hadn't seen Florence Pugh before.
    But she really inhabits the role with a strange blend of vulnerability and arrogance.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

Michael Shannon's character in this is the spit of my old English teacher in secondary school. The same hairstyle, glasses, tash and clothes. I keep expecting him to throw a duster at someone.

d3f8b6f5-06f9-4a64-9a27-4faa6ec98099-16687433-low_res-the-little-drummer-girl.jpg?w=970&h=582&fit=crop&crop=faces&auto=format&q=70

Michael Shannon is a very good actor and has a very unconventional face that sets him apart.

although he looks more conventional than usual here - must be the tash and glasses that makes him look more generic.

watched to the end (amc). thought that it was pretty good.

the main actress did a decent job.

most of le carre's stuff is not fast-moving in any case but I didn't find this a bore or particularly slow - the production values and cast carried it through imo.

for comparison didn't like the le carre-based movie "Tinker tailor, soldier, spy" at all.

I preferred it to the night manager overall which had a more fast-paced start but where the ending was a bit of a mess.

Advertisement