Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tattoo Aftercare Cream

Options
  • 21-08-2018 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭

Howdy all,

Currently in the process of getting a half sleeve done, and as soon as my first session was done, I toddled on down to the nearest pharmacy and picked up a tube of auld faithful Bepanthen. After a couple of days though, I started to develop some unsightly acne spots on the tattoo which after a bit of research turned out to be an allergic side effect that other people have also noticed since Bepanthen changed their formula. (It’s been about 4 years since my last tattoo, and back then Bepanthen was the best)

I’m three sessions in, and I’ve noticed that the blemishes goes within a few days of not using the cream daily, so I’m pretty damned convinced that’s what’s setting me off. Just wondering what other people are using now as an alternative? I got a tube of Panthenols when I was in recently, but it’s tiny and costs a fortune in comparison. Is E45 any good?

Cheers!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭verycool

Might be a bit pricey, but you could pop in to a studio and ask for tattoo goo?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

I use Bepanthen for the 1st few days and then move over to E45. E45 would not give you the protection of Bepanthen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

I use Silcocks Base and Vaseline Aloe Vera.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Maybe you are over applying the Bepanthen?

I usually go with what the artist says, which has mostly been Bepanthen.

I got two tattoos last weekend from two different artists and so am healing them at the same time but with the artists recommendations.

One is Bepanthen. The second one advised E45 which I’m using on that one. It was under an adhesive film for a couple of days, Saniderm or something similar, so had that protection for that period as opposed to being in film for a couple of hours.

Both seem to be healing ok. The E45 one is two days older that the Bepanthen one(its a week old now) and is two or three days into the flaking stage.

I’ve had artists apply Saniderm to a tattoo for 5 days and I think it’s a great way to start the healing as opposed to film for a few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 annaboniface55

E45 works for all types of skin and Vaseline is good too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

Vaseline is not a great suggestion, doesn't allow the skin to breathe and has the potential to trap dirt and could cause infection. The tattoo will take longer to heal. Some people on here have mentioned it before and some even swear by it but there are far better options out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

Have'nt had one in years [but just got a voucher for my birthday so i'm back in the game] i've always used 'Savlon' always did the job for me + things may have changed but when the cling film was taken off a few hours after tattoo it was never put back on the more air it got the better , as i worked as a plasterer i taped a piece of cloth over it every day for work. never had much 'Scabbing' either.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

decky1 wrote: »
    Have'nt had one in years [but just got a voucher for my birthday so i'm back in the game] i've always used 'Savlon' always did the job for me + things may have changed but when the cling film was taken off a few hours after tattoo it was never put back on the more air it got the better , as i worked as a plasterer i taped a piece of cloth over it every day for work. never had much 'Scabbing' either.

That's the best way to keep it clean--a piece of gauze over it. but nest time try johnsons baby lotion. Best healing product out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Get some vepantehn, heat it in a microwave for a few seconds, easy to apply and isn't monstrously thick

Hellrazer wrote: »
    That's the best way to keep it clean--a piece of gauze over it. but nest time try johnsons baby lotion. Best healing product out there.

Don't know if 'Gauze' would be good for it you'd be pulling too much trying to get it off, keeping it a bit moist but not soaking wet all the time. warm soapy water, pat dry and leave it alone in the evenings.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Don't know if 'Gauze' would be good for it you'd be pulling too much trying to get it off, keeping it a bit moist but not soaking wet all the time. warm soapy water, pat dry and leave it alone in the evenings.

Wouldn't normally recommend it but he works in construction so he needs it covered.
    You just buy the non stick gauze for burns and you're sorted.

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Wouldn't normally recommend it but he works in construction so he needs it covered.
    You just buy the non stick gauze for burns and you're sorted.

sorry did'nt meant to say that you were wrong, had'nt known about non stick gauze, good idea thanks.:o

sorry did'nt meant to say that you were wrong, had'nt known about non stick gauze, good idea thanks.:o

It's good stuff especially if you need it kept covered. Plus it allows the tattoo to breathe.

Personally my healing technique is wash in the hottest water you can stand, rinse off with cold to close the pores and then Johnson baby lotion until it heals. Hasn't let me down yet.

Advertisement