Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media Hub 3.0 upgrade invite

Options
  • 21-08-2018 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭

I have a TC7200 and a wifi ap. I'm very happy with everything, getting 240mbs on the phone and laptop over wifi.

I received an email from VM offering a free upgrade to the new modem.

Is there any reason to upgrade? I'm thinking just leave it as I have my wifi sorted, or will the TC7200 stop working at some point?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If you're a gamer use VOIP(Skype, video calling etc) then don't accept it. Flawed device subject to a class action, Intel who make the chip have admitted its f00ked.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭tazzzZ

hmmm What is the issue?? I have one.. It is in modem only mode and I use an RT-AC68U as my actual router.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 vsh

Hi. I just got one from Virgin and was nervous after reading the comments. But it's great!. A problem I had with the old modem was that it could not really penetrate the walls of the house, and so I had to get homeplugs, which weren't totally reliable.

But this new one is crazy fast through the walls, I'm getting 60% of the speed beside the modem when I'm testing it through a thick wall, whereas before I was only getting 20% of it or so. And have used Voip without any problems at all.

So I say go for it, it's a much better router than the one UPC sent me four years ago.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

This is the class action and flawed Intel Puma being referred to:

https://www.classactionlawyers.com/puma6/

The VM modem is near the bottom of the list.

Hey Spear. Thanks for that. Which model is the VM one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

CH7465-LG. Its the TG in use in the UK.

So the firmware that took them 6 months to test and now release to a few users isnt applicable here. Likely we won't get a fix for ages/at all.

Thanks for that. After having used it now for over a week I can still say it's going great, very fast and very little problem - including with VOIP and gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Svetti Arss

vsh wrote: »
    After having used it now for over a week I can still say it's going great, very fast and very little problem - including with VOIP and gaming.

Used what? The standard modem or some new firmware with a fix for the problem?

Used it straight out of the box with no problems.

Advertisement