Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crazy Rich Asians

Options
  • 21-08-2018 3:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭

I was dragged to it last night by my wife who is Asian. I saw the trailers and i thought it was going to be cheesy rom-com. I was skeptical of the 7.7 IMDB rating and 93% Rotten Tomatoes score (i thought it was just getting the diversity bump) but its well worth its scores (although a little high). It is a little cheesy and it could be about 30 minutes shorter but it was well worth the watch.

It doesn't get realeased until September 14th in Ireland but I would recommend it.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,623 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I've read the book and am looking forward to it. Glad to see you've found a release date: the film's website doesn't include Ireland, has a November release for the UK and didn't respond a tweet asking about it.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

My wife and I hated it. 

When you look past the novelty of the cast, it's vacuous, formulaic and wealth-obsessed to an insane degree. Basically 50 Shades without the kink. Utterly charmless and deliberately unrelatable - rolled my eyes so hard when the wisecracking best friends shows up, wide-eyed at a party at the huge family home, stunned by their wealth, even though she's driving an Audi TT!

Don't bother. It's Netflix-movie bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,378 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Constance Wu is great in Fresh Off the Boat and this is doing great money at US box office

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Just heard about this today, and how well received it has been. I really really like Constance Wu and the other cast members that I'm familiar with (Ken Jeong, Gemma Chan, Nico Santos, and Michelle Yeoh) so will definitely be checking it out once it's released.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

Went to see it a few weeks ago in here in Malaysia and I loved it. I loved the books and wasn't disappointed by the movie. It went down a treat with the Asian audience in the cinema I was in. Deep belly laughs from lots of men could be heard. 

I could really recognise a few people in it. A guy I briefly dated was an insecure mess like Astrid's hubby. When he parked his audi in my condo building and saw all the nice sports cars he nearly left. Eeejit. 

Also loved seeing the lingo of this area come to life lah. The linguistics of Singapore/Malaysia fascinate me and the movie held true to a lot despite the main characters being American or British Educated Chinese so not having the clipped tones of the region.  

Anyway, I ramble. A really fun afternoon at the movies.  I am trying to talk my Malay boyfriend into coming to see it with me as would love to see it again.

• Advertisement

Quite enjoyed it. Yes it's cheesy and the wealth is over the top but it's a very entertaining romcom. Lots of Asians in the audience were in hysterics at some parts.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

My wife and I hated it. 

When you look past the novelty of the cast, it's vacuous, formulaic and wealth-obsessed to an insane degree. Basically 50 Shades without the kink. Utterly charmless and deliberately unrelatable - rolled my eyes so hard when the wisecracking best friends shows up, wide-eyed at a party at the huge family home, stunned by their wealth, even though she's driving an Audi TT!

It wasn’t an Audio TT. More like a R8.

One of the better rom coms i’ve Dragged to over the years!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

godtabh wrote: »
    My wife and I hated it. 

It wasn’t an Audio TT. More like  a R8.

One of the better rom coms i’ve Dragged to over the years!
    Sorry, you're right. Tony Stark's car. Audi TT is for male hairdressers.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,623 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I really enjoyed it. Made me laugh well over the required 6 times.
    Great cast. Several beautiful people.

Michelle Yeoh was fab as always.

Also loved that they recorded familiar music in Chinese (couldn't tell which dialect). One song in particular gave me a massive laugh.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

I was looking forward to this movie but didn't like it. The direction and editing were very bland and at points awful. The makers do not know how to edit a dinner conversation so that it flows well or how to make a good montage sequence. The main actress has a bit of charm but he was charmingly bland. Gemma Chan is straight out of Humans, robotic and though she could shed a tear on screen, can't do emotional scenes well.

The pervy brother and Ken Jeong pervily asking his daughter to get Rachel to try on certain skimpy clothes in the wedding outfit montage was just bizarre in the current climate of Hollywood. People laughed but it doesn't work for me.

For anyone who has read the book, does it answer
    how Rachel never knew he was related to one of the richest families in Singapore? Given these other girls in their cafe know the back of his head, yet for a whole year of dating in NYC am I to believe Rachel never so much as googled him out of curiosity? Or mentioned his name to her BFF who moved back to Singapore?
    I wasn't going to spoiler that as it's all basic trailer and plot info but just in case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,211 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Saw this today wasn't expecting much but it was a lot of fun. I thought her friend stole every scene. I can see why it did well box office wise and also why Netflix were so keen to buy the film as well.

Speaking of Netflix I think I preferred a little rom com they released called to all the boys I've loved before to this but both solid.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Saw this today after looking forward to it for a while. It was a fine, perfectly passable movie but not sure it's worthy of all the rave reviews. Really wasn't expecting to be so generic tbh. As gmisk said above, To All The Boys I've Loved Before was actually a better film.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭restive

I saw this cause it was its last night in the cinema. With all the hype i thought i should see it before it ended. The viewing had a decent audience at it so i'd imagine the take over the last month would gave been high.

As regards the film. One of the first things that struck me was inspite of it being called crazy "rich" asians, the wealth on display was mostly bling and honestly it got very boring very quick.

I liked the lead actress but the lead actor was wooden. The side relationship between the sister who married the ex soldier was more interesting. Michelle Yeoh was very good but it needed more of the grandmother who was hardly in it. It would have been better if it was darker.

In the end I thought it was bland.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,368 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Watched this today I never heard of it before or knew it was based on books till just now reading this thread.

I have to say I really liked it and for a Rom/Com it did what it was supposed to do it put a smile on my face for the entire film.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭s8n

Watched this today I never heard of it before or knew it was based on books till just now reading this thread.

I have to say I really liked it and for a Rom/Com it did what it was supposed to do it put a smile on my face for the entire film.

download I assume ?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,211 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

restive wrote: »
    I saw this cause it was its last night in the cinema. With all the hype i thought i should see it before it ended. The viewing had a decent audience at it so i'd imagine the take over the last month would gave been high.

As regards the film. One of the first things that struck me was inspite of it being called crazy "rich" asians, the wealth on display was mostly bling and honestly it got very boring very quick.

I liked the lead actress but the lead actor was wooden. The side relationship between the sister who married the ex soldier was more interesting. Michelle Yeoh was very good but it needed more of the grandmother who was hardly in it. It would have been better if it was darker.

In the end I thought it was bland.
    Lead actor is very bland...he was also in a film called A simple plan (which is utterly bonkers btw) and he was useless in it as well.

s8n wrote: »
    download I assume ?

You assume wrong !

You assume wrong !

must have streamed it off the net then if not download

it just came "out" that not 100% legal way according to new movies android app.

glasso wrote: »

Plenty of legal ways to watch films.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Starfleet Student

glasso wrote: »

I saw it last week on a plane. They had loads of films to watch legally. I didn't like it.

• Advertisement

I saw it last week on a plane. They had loads of films to watch legally. I didn't like it.

others must have been on a plane also then to see it :)

No digital release or dvd release before November 20.

so there is no legal way probably except for being on a plane to see it at the moment as it's long gone from cinemas except the odd special viewing

• Registered Users Posts: 43,795 ✭✭✭✭Basq

yep why not just admit it!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,795 ✭✭✭✭Basq

FWIW - I only lasted about 40 minutes.

Didn't laugh and thought it was hollow... and those goofy graphics during texts induced instant nausea.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,436 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Saw this last month and it's enjoyable.

A couple of hours of light entertainment with an opinion of Chinese marriage culture.

It's above average for the genre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

Alternative title: Unlikeable Rich Assholes. Every character in this film besides Constance Wu's, was an asshole. For a romcom, there was very little romance until the very end. The first scene with Ken Jeong was so cringey and unfunny.

The director, Jon M. Chu, also directed Step Up 2: The Streets, Step Up 3D , Step Up: Revolution, G.I. Joe: Retaliation, Jem and The Holograms, and Now You See Me 2. If you try to tell me any of those films are good, you're obviously a liar.

Advertisement