Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why don't console games have cheat codes anymore?

Options
  • 21-08-2018 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭

As the title says is there no longer any Xbox one games that have cheat codes I'm familiar with GTA V. But it doesn't seem like many more exist.

Are cheat codes gone from consoles,
    I used to love to mess around with lives etc and the old invincibility!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,200 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Mainly to stop with people dicking around with cheats on online multiplayer I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭keffiyeh

1. Because they can sell you DLC.

2. Because there's the online component to consider, don't want to give hackers any help.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

The reasons vary depending on the platform and type of game (online orientated, for instance) but, generally speaking, one of the main reasons is because traditional cheat codes can dramatically alter the game state and as such, need to be explicitly tested by the QA teams at both the developer/publisher and platform holder levels, to ensure both general and performance stability is maintained.

With development cycles becoming longer and more costly it followed that these kinds of bonus features were seen as unnecessary and dropped in the majority of cases.

Have some games reintroduced them as DLC? Sure, but given the vast majority of games don't offer them as DLC, blaming them for the disappearance of cheat codes doesn't really make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭lucast2007us

Ye I can totally understand them not having cheats for online games but single player should be a option as alot of steam games have the option to mod etc

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭keffiyeh

Ye I can totally understand them not having cheats for online games but single player should be a option as alot of steam games have the option to mod etc

Tons of people get banned on PC for modding games, it can even be slight colour correction, very competitive games will kick you for it.

I can see what you're saying and to be honest, I can see it making a comeback. Big-head mode and the like :) It's just not in fashion right now. If it does come back they'll be drops in lootcrates :P

• Advertisement
Advertisement