Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I need to notify old insurer I haven't renewed with them?

Options
  • 21-08-2018 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭

Was with AA and got a renewal which increased from €664 to €886 so I said fudge that. Got a quote from 123 for €517 so went with that. My question is do I need to notify AA of my non renewal? I worry that the renewal date will roll around and AA will automatically deduct via direct debit.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Depends on what they said I'm with Bank of Ireland and in my renewal letter it said it automatically renews if I don' contact them.
    Did they send out new cert? Pretty sure BOI did with the renewal letter.
    You may as well get in touch with them for the sake of a quick phone call.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭Anjobe

p to the e wrote: »
    Was with AA and got a renewal which increased from €664 to €886 so I said fudge that. Got a quote from 123 for €517 so went with that. My question is do I need to notify AA of my non renewal? I worry that the renewal date will roll around and AA will automatically deduct via direct debit.

Yes - if you pay by DD then if you do nothing then your existing AA policy will automatically renew. It should say in your renewal invitation letter, but I think it says to them 8 days notice if you are not renewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Never cancel or let a renewal lapse by just stopping the DD. That means insurers have to go through the cancellation process under the policy and that must be declared to future insurers, causing a world of pain for you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭p to the e

Thanks for replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

You will need to get no claims off them anyways so contact and say you found better quote.

You never know they may match it always worth shopping around every time as there is no such thing as loyalty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Your insurer is obliged to send your NCB certificate weeks in advance of your renewal date. This was to put manners on insurers engaging in this sharp practice

Advertisement