Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox one controller set up

Options
  • 21-08-2018 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭

Sorry in advance for the noob question.

I am still very new to PC gaming, but there are some games that I just don't feel comfortable using mouse and keyboard for. I have an original xbox one and was wondering if there is much involved in setting up the xbox one controller for use on the PC?

I have read that newer controllers can connect straight out of the box, but would i need to buy any accessories for my controller to connect to the PC?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Sorry in advance for the noob question.

I am still very new to PC gaming, but there are some games that I just don't feel comfortable using mouse and keyboard for. I have an original xbox one and was wondering if there is much involved in setting up the xbox one controller for use on the PC?

I have read that newer controllers can connect straight out of the box, but would i need to buy any accessories for my controller to connect to the PC?

You only need accessories if you want to connect your controller via wireless. Otherwise just connect with USB cable and it should just work.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Snakeweasel

SickBoy wrote: »
    You only need accessories if you want to connect your controller via wireless. Otherwise just connect with USB cable and it should just work.

So even something like a micro usb charging lead would work? (sorry for being so ignorant, I swear I built my own PC :o)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Yeah, that's all you need. Windows 10 will detect it automatically, and i think Windows 7 does as well.

Most games will even show the correct button prompts as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Also if your mobo has Bluetooth you can use that, but first get it working with the cable, which will install drivers, its good to update the firmware of the controller before using Bluetooth( I don't think there's any need to update the firmware if using it wired only.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭SickBoy

lmimmfn wrote: »
    Also if your mobo has Bluetooth you can use that, but first get it working with the cable, which will install drivers, its good to update the firmware of the controller before using Bluetooth( I don't think there's any need to update the firmware if using it wired only.

Never knew you could update the firmware of the controller. Is it an easy process?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

Never knew you could update the firmware of the controller. Is it an easy process?

Get the "Xbox Accessories" app from Win 10 Store.
    Don't bother creating a/c, skip the login.

Run the Xbox Accessories app, again don't bother creating a/c

Plug in controller, click "more options" to see if firmware update is available.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Yes, I actually asks you the first time you plug in the controller or sync it with the dongle, mightn't do that if its already on the latest firmware, should be in the control panel/Xbox live config( can't check at the moment as I have no access to my PC )
    https://support.xbox.com/en-GB/xbox-on-windows/accessories/how-to-update-xbox-one-controller-windows-10

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

With Bluetooth, you can't plug in a headset to the controller. With wireless (with Xbox dongle), you can

Advertisement