Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Porting to VOIP provider

Options
  • 21-08-2018 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭

First the present situation:
    I have decades old phone number with eir so I want to keep that number, and also broadband (adsl) on the line.
    FTTH has become available in the area and I would like to change to it - with eir as the provider because of the sports channels included.

I am not in contract, except for a monthly roll over, so a 30 day notice would be required to cancel the service.

The 'kicker' is that eir want to charge me €10 per month more for the FTTH service, BECAUSE I am an existing customer.
    Naturally I do not wish to pay €120 per year to eir for no good reason.

So I am considering porting my phone number to a provider who will route calls in to that number to a VOIP account I can set up. The required gear is already in situ and in use so not a problem there.

Is it possible to get such a routing service on a short term basis (monthly) and at what cost? I am completely out of date on these services, hence the questions.

When the number is ported I should be able to cancel the eir service (broadband) and then order FTTH at the lesser price, probably saving myself about €100 in the process.

I am in a 'black hole' for mobile services so a temporary dongle for broadband is not an option unfortunately. :(

Comments, suggestions and other advice welcome.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

First the present situation:
    I have decades old phone number with eir so I want to keep that number, and also broadband (adsl) on the line.
    FTTH has become available in the area and I would like to change to it - with eir as the provider because of the sports channels included.

I am not in contract, except for a monthly roll over, so a 30 day notice would be required to cancel the service.

The 'kicker' is that eir want to charge me €10 per month more for the FTTH service, BECAUSE I am an existing customer.
    Naturally I do not wish to pay €120 per year to eir for no good reason.

So I am considering porting my phone number to a provider who will route calls in to that number to a VOIP account I can set up. The required gear is already in situ and in use so not a problem there.

Is it possible to get such a routing service on a short term basis (monthly) and at what cost? I am completely out of date on these services, hence the questions.

When the number is ported I should be able to cancel the eir service (broadband) and then order FTTH at the lesser price, probably saving myself about €100 in the process.

I am in a 'black hole' for mobile services so a temporary dongle for broadband is not an option unfortunately. :(

Comments, suggestions and other advice welcome.

Thanks.

I have no idea on the number routing service but are you considering getting FTTH then re-porting the number back to eir or would you leave it on whatever VoIP service you choose?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I have no idea on the number routing service but are you considering getting FTTH then re-porting the number back to eir or would you leave it on whatever VoIP service you choose?

Ideally port back to eir, depending on cost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Ideally port back to eir, depending on cost.

My concern would be that to get the €45.99 deal with eir you're going to have to get a bundle with VoIP landline included, so they'll assign you a new geographic number. You're then going to try to port the old number to that account. I can see a world of pain for you trying to get that achieved. You see how difficult even ordering is. I'd be weighing up how important €120 is versus your sanity!

My concern would be that to get the €45.99 deal with eir you're going to have to get a bundle with VoIP landline included, so they'll assign you a new geographic number. You're then going to try to port the old number to that account. I can see a world of pain for you trying to get that achieved. You see how difficult even ordering is. I'd be weighing up how important €120 is versus your sanity!

Too late to be concerned about my sanity :D:D:D

Yes it does seem like a lot of trouble for such an amount .... but money is tight and mostly I HATE being ripped of by eir :mad:

There appears to be method in their madness ...... by making their systems so bad to deal with we are inclined to accept whatever they will give!

eir succeeded ...... I capitulate :(

Will order today from them at the higher price.

I hate doing so but hopefully will enjoy the new speeds.

Thanks for reading and posting. ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement