Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

french door restrictor?

Options
  • 21-08-2018 9:33am
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm not sure if what I'm looking for exists or what it could be called but I'll try to explain what I'm looking for.

I have french doors which I'd like to be able to prop open when I'm home. problem is if I leave them open too much our dogs go out and our chickens come in!

is there something where I could restrict the opening to about 2-3 inches and is non moving.

I've tried googling but don't seem to be able to find anything.

any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I searched google for this and found that you'd asked the question before :p

You can get things like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Galaxy-French-Restrictor-Doors-Safety/dp/B00DL3FDIM

However, these are really supposed to be used to protect walls and stuff, prevent the door from swinging out past 90 degrees and getting damaged. For 2/3 inches, you're going to find it really annoying because you'll need to pop the restrictor off if you want to open the door fully.

I'd personally go more low-tech, a piece of string on both handles to prevent it opening past a couple of inches, and a small piece of wood (like a chopstick) that you can jam between the doors to keep them open.

What sound like the right solution for you is a screen door that you can pull across when you want the doors open but not let anything alive through.

• Moderators Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭Spocker

Would a kick down door stop work? https://www.lenehans.ie/kick-down-door-holders.html

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

thanks both of you, I'm not sure the door stops would grip on the concrete step but might be worth a try.

might have a look at screens, we've been doing to low tech option for a while! it's just annoying, really wish we'd installed windows as well as the door!
    cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭cletus

https://www.ie.screwfix.com/mila-left-hand-window-restrictor-stainless-steel-100mm.html?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=CPC&utm_campaign=Shopping&gclid=CjwKCAjw8O7bBRB0EiwAfbrTh6YRbEK1ydAYnkkS6QcxQJF5gPjQjKEpI4zo8psoyRhrvOd3hh50DRoCggMQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

What about a window limiter? They are designed to let you open a window a couple of inches, are easy to install, and it's just a matter of unlatching when you want to open the door

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Couple of things you could use.....

Obvious one would be a wedge under each door.

Piece of wood between the doors and a bungee strap to hold the handles together

Spring bolts like these in the back of each door, but unless you can make some form of hole (in the carpet?) to lock down into the dog might be able to move it.

Finnally found these which might be more decorative and provide enough grip to keep the dog in.

Then there is this type of door stop which is great from one side (if on inside door won't move in further) but may move if pushed close from inside (dog if big enough pushing against door).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

Some great ideas from everyone.

What makes it harder is that as the door opens out, it's hard stop it opening out as there a drop onto the step.

what I bought this morning was a kind of multi way door stop which has several holes in it as well.
    I hooked it over one of the handles and wedged it in between the door and fastened it to the other handle. it isn't pretty but it will do a temporary job till I can source something better

• Registered Users Posts: 33,705 ✭✭✭✭listermint

angeldaisy wrote: »
    Some great ideas from everyone.

What makes it harder is that as the door opens out, it's hard stop it opening out as there a drop onto the step.

what I bought this morning was a kind of multi way door stop which has several holes in it as well.
    I hooked it over one of the handles and wedged it in between the door and fastened it to the other handle. it isn't pretty but it will do a temporary job till I can source something better

This is exactly what you need

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Galaxy-French-Restrictor-Doors-Safety/dp/B00DL3FDIM

had them on my last apartment, Open out doors and stops the door flying out in a breeze and has a stop lock on it to stop it opening all the way back to prevent wall hits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

But how does that work when the OP wants to open the doors so they can get in an out and not just restrict the dog and chickens?

Advertisement