Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox Subs Confusion

Options
  • 21-08-2018 7:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭

So easy enough question I'd imagine..

Google seems to indicate it's not feasible but said I'd ask the fine people of Boards.ie to clarify.

Just got an Xbox One S with 3 months XBox Live Gold.

Been out of the loop on these subscription services a while so am I right in saying this isn't the same as Xbox Game Pass? Xbox Live Gold is still presumably the same as it was back on the 360 days (multiplayer online etc) whereas Game Pass is essentially "Netflix for games", but you'd need Xbox Live is play online multiplayer functionality of those games.

If I'm correct, I think I'd use Xbox Game Pass more often but unlike Xbox Live, there doesn't seem to be cheap digital subs available for it - or is there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭Max Mafioso

Yes, Xbox Live is for online multiplayer while Game Pass is for the games though I am not sure if you need to have Live to use Game Pass.
    There is the odd offer for GP, nothing I can find at the moment but Smyths were selling 6 months for €20 a while back through their website and sometimes MS have an offer where you can buy 3 months as a gift for a discounted price, you can just gift it to yourself that way

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Thanks Max.

Actually just noticed it's €2 for a month on Microsoft at minute: https://www.microsoft.com/en-ie/p/xbox-game-pass/cfq7ttc0k6l8/0001

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,235 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Just to note that an Xbox Live subscription comes with four free games per month, that you can kept so long as you are still subscribed.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,235 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Basq wrote: »
    Thanks Max.

Actually just noticed it's €2 for a month on Microsoft at minute: https://www.microsoft.com/en-ie/p/xbox-game-pass/cfq7ttc0k6l8/0001

Only for new members :(

If you do subscribe, then it'll ask you if you want to get a free month by auto-renewing. Do, and then cancel the auto renew once the free month appears on your account.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Ah, wasn't aware of that. Do they tend to me newer games / commercially available / Xbox Live? Or do they mix it up?

• Advertisement

Basq wrote: »
    Ah, wasn't aware of that. Do they tend to me newer games / commercially available / Xbox Live? Or do they mix it up?

Honestly, it's usually a mixed bag in terms of quality and age. There's been a few indie games that have been brand new, but in the main, the games are somewhat older. Some months are brilliant, others.... not so much.

This month, for example, has For Honour, Forza Horizon 2, Epic Mickey 2. It had Dead Space 3 for the first half of the month, but then it got replaced by Epic Mickey 2.

You can see the list of games that have been on the program here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

CatInABox wrote: »
    Just to note that an Xbox Live subscription comes with four free games per month, that you can kept so long as you are still subscribed.

This reads as though you need to stay subbed to Xbox live in order to play the free games that you get but that's not the case. Once you get the games, they are yours forever.

Maybe I am misreading your post.

Nope, I am wrong.

d31b0y wrote: »
    This reads as though you need to stay subbed to Xbox live in order to play the free games that you get but that's not the case. Once you get the games, they are yours forever.

Maybe I am misreading your post.

Ah, I didn't really want to get into it, but the actual way it works is:

Xbox One Games with Gold need an active sub
    Xbox 360 Games with Gold don't need an active sub

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

I never realised that. That's really, really poor IMO...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,555 ✭✭✭SteM

Another seemingly dumb question - can the 360 games be downloaded and played on the xbox one? Can Epic Mickey 2 be played on xbox one for instance?

• Advertisement

SteM wrote: »
    Another seemingly dumb question - can the 360 games be downloaded and played on the xbox one? Can Epic Mickey 2 be played on xbox one for instance?

Yes, my kids have been playing it the last few days.

Advertisement