Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Career Change

Options
  • 20-08-2018 11:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi All
    I have a BEng in Electronic Engineering and MSc in Computing and am looking into a career change into secondary teaching. Where do I start the process of finding out what extra qualifications I need and which subjects I would be eligible to teach?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

embed wrote: »
    Hi All
    I have a BEng in Electronic Engineering and MSc in Computing and am looking into a career change into secondary teaching. Where do I start the process of finding out what extra qualifications I need and which subjects I would be eligible to teach?
    Thanks

Well you'll first need a PME to qualify as a teacher. That will cost you €12500+ and two years and the possibility of living on a few hours work for a number of years?

I'm assuming you would be able to register for maths (or maybe with a few modules that are also expensive if you do through the OU). Is it worth it? Have you any experience?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

The teaching council of ireland will assess your degree and tell you what credits you need. Lots of other similar posts on here if you search.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

You'll probably be able to teach Maths. You might find a school that is piloting the new Computer Science course who will give you a few hours in that, but it'll never be many hours to be honest (one 5th year group, one 6th year).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Had a friend who did Elec Eng and was qualified to teach Applied Maths from it. My gut feeling is that an Elec Eng degree might be missing statistics modules necessary for maths.

Advertisement