Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Caught a huge pike! Daughter started crying! Son got mad! Stepped in poop! Regrets re

Options
  • 20-08-2018 10:48pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 150 ✭✭

My biggest catch so far, got it all on video! What do you guys think? Should I have kept it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

My biggest catch so far, got it all on video! What do you guys think? Should I have kept it?

https://youtu.be/SKBD37cuOnQ

Amazing catch. Dead right to listen to your daughter. Next time work on your pgotographers aim and throwing it back quicker! Incredible catch.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Great catch. All pike over 50cm must be released by law so no, you were right not to keep it. You also need to learn how to handle fish properly, kicking it back into the river is not good for the fish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

https://youtu.be/SKBD37cuOnQ

Nice one boss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Please learn how to handle fish properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Ghetofarmulous

Good catch but bad handling skill. More respect required.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Ugh...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Zzippy wrote: »
    Great catch. All pike over 50cm must be released by law so no, you were right not to keep it. You also need to learn how to handle fish properly, kicking it back into the river is not good for the fish.

Neither is dragging it out of the water by the line, keeping it out of the water, and allowing it struggle across gravel.
    Please get an appropriate landing net, and an unhooking mat if you're not as fortunate to have grass there the next time. Your video is edited so I'm not sure how you removed the hook, but a disgorger or pliers for unhooking is necessary too.
    Only one pike under 50cm per day is permitted to be kept (with the exception of a very few managed trout fisheries).
    Seriously op, you need to familiarise yourself with this stuff, and have the right gear and know how to use it, before you wet a line!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭NOVA MCMXCIV

On a lighter note – best thread title EVER!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭taytobreath

Your kids have good hearts though.

Sorry I'm new to this forum, but would the damage to its mouth from the hook cause the fish to stop eating and eventually it starves to death anyway.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Sorry I'm new to this forum, but would the damage to its mouth from the hook cause the fish to stop eating and eventually it starves to death anyway.

No, tag and recapture studies on many species have shown good survival post-release provided the fish are handled properly. In this case, the rough handling would be more relevant. Pike have often been caught months and years after previously being caught in excellent condition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

You are probably new to angling, so there is no point in me giving out about the poor handling of the fish. But for your own sake, and the sake of the pike you will catch, look at the video below. Poor pike handling may result in the fish dying, and also you may need a trip to the hospital if you get a triple hook stuck in your fingers. It can happen so easily, believe me from experience. Pike are a very easy fish to handle once you learn to avoid the gill rakers, and the bigger one are even easier.

Not at all, IF the angler knows what they are doing. I've had repeat captures of large pike before, sometimes years apart. the hooks don't actually do that much damage at all.

Advertisement