Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tattoo and Fighting

Options
  • 20-08-2018 10:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hello,

I am having a tattoo session on the 1st of September and I might be having a fight with K1 rules on the 22nd of September.

Would the tattoo heal to this time(3weeks) and would it be bad if I train hard after getting the tattoo? Ofcourse I would wait 2-3 days before starting the training.

Thank you!

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

I’d put off the tattoo if I was you.

I got a full sleeve and a chest piece last summer and trained through the lot of it, hard core pain. And the risk of infection is crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Nobby kiedy

Ah damn it, I was thinking the same. But might ask the tattoo artist and see what he thinks

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Depending on the size and location of the tattoo you could probably get back in the gym training solo or doing some physical training stuff within a matter of a few days, but if you're going to do something with contact I would say that anything less than giving the tattoo 5-7 days is optimistic. If it gets a knock during the healing process or is abraded then it could damage the tattoo.

If the tattoo is really teeny tiny then you could probably just cover it and get on with it because in my experience very small tattoos just tend to heal well anyway because they place less stress on the body (unless they're on a weird location, like the side of the hand or an arm or leg ditch or something which can just be hard to heal properly). For a larger tattoo training hard and trying to heal it at the same time is not a brilliant idea. Your immune system is already under pressure and if you're burning the candle at both ends then throwing a tattoo on top to be healed could result in you coming down with a cold.

If it were me I would reschedule the tattoo. Good luck in your fight!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I've been in that position lots of times.

So close to fight time I'd cancel the tattoo.

It would likely be nicely healed in three weeks (I heal really quick, some people don't) but you won't be training very hard (for the fight) if you're focusing on a new healing tattoo.

I'm guessing if you've a booking its a fairly big tattoo?.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Nobby kiedy

Thanks for the reply guys. I am getting a chest tattoo, nearly full chest.

That's what's I was thinking, if I get the tattoo, I won't be able to train properly or do any cardio early after getting a tattoo.

I spoke to my tattoo artist and said that it could be fine, as I won't be rubbing the tattoo, but I don't know how my training will go, and as far as I remember, my other tattoos were still healing after this time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

If it's a full chest piece forget about it, i only got one side of my chest done last year. 1. it was the sorest tattoo i ever got 2. It ALWAYS gets rubbed, scraped, pushed, punched in training, you just can't feel it now. 3. that's a massive "open wound" to be training with for 3 weeks solid, and then having a full force fight with, someone elses sweat on that, or if someones bleeds on it.....

Rebook the tattoo.

^^ That's actually a very good point re. the tattoo being an open wound.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,734 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

+1 ok the pain. A friend, who has a good few tattoos said the chest was a pain like no other. On a scale of 1-10 it was 11. Arm tattoos were 0.1 on the same scale.

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    +1 ok the pain. A friend, who has a good few tattoos said the chest was a pain like no other. On a scale of 1-10 it was 11. Arm tattoos were 0.1 on the same scale.

I don't have either my chest or back done, but my right leg was a ball breaker. Excruciating pain, so when it came to having my left leg done I was dreading it and put it off for a long time.

When I finally got it done I hardly felt a thing.

Talking of tattoo's.

I'd an idea for a Judo black belt tattoo for myself, I drew it out and showed it to a mate ~ the asshole went and got it done himself, even showed it to me thinking I'd be delighted ~ I was fooking pissed as fvck at him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

Re arrange the appointment unless you fancy the chance of catching a Staph infection

• Advertisement
Advertisement