Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Choosing smoke alarms

Options
  • 20-08-2018 9:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm looking for some input on choosing smoke alarms.

It's time to replace all the alarms in my house. Currently I've got a heat detector in the kitchen, and three ionization alarms (hall, landing, and living room), all interlinked.

I know I need a heat detector for the kitchen (thinking Kidde Kf30).

It's choosing between optical and ionization that I'm not sure of. I'm finding conflicting information out there. Aico website suggests optical for Hallway, Landing and Living Room. Kidde website suggests ionization for landing, and optical for hallway and living room.

Wondering if any experts on here have an opinion?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Ionisation is seldom appropriate and are usually selected on price. (Perhaps a bedroom or somewhere with someone smoking.)

But really what you have mentioned should be optical (photoelectric) sensors.

Bear in mind there is Irish Standard 3218 to comply with too.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭spongerobinson

Thanks for your input. I'll check out going all optical except for the kitchen so. Not worth scrimping for the sake of 30 or 40 quid. Might add a couple of battery powered ionizations in bedrooms also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Trombones

Hi all,

I'm looking for some input on choosing smoke alarms.

It's time to replace all the alarms in my house. Currently I've got a heat detector in the kitchen, and three ionization alarms (hall, landing, and living room), all interlinked.

I know I need a heat detector for the kitchen (thinking Kidde Kf30).

It's choosing between optical and ionization that I'm not sure of. I'm finding conflicting information out there. Aico website suggests optical for Hallway, Landing and Living Room. Kidde website suggests ionization for landing, and optical for hallway and living room.

Wondering if any experts on here have an opinion?

Thanks in advance.

The connections on Kidde are sh1t unless they've changed recently i'd go with EI

I think you're supposed to have a mix of smoke detector types in a house not just optical,that was always my understanding anyway

Trombones wrote: »
    The connections on Kidde are sh1t unless they've changed recently i'd go with EI

I think you're supposed to have a mix of smoke detector types in a house not just optical,that was always my understanding anyway

Damn, I already ordered Kidde alarms this morning. Reviews seem fine on Amazon, so I'll let you know how I get on with the connections.

Damn, I already ordered Kidde alarms this morning. Reviews seem fine on Amazon, so I'll let you know how I get on with the connections.

I checked the EI website,I think risteard is actually correct there,it states optical for hallway, sitting room, landing and ionisation for bedroom(if fitting them)

I think EI goes by the name AICO on Amazon in the UK

• Advertisement

I checked the EI website,I think risteard is actually correct there,it states optical for hallway, sitting room, landing and ionisation for bedroom(if fitting them)

Yeah I took the advice from the EI website and went with optical for hall, landing, and sitting room, with a heat detector for the kitchen. I'll probably add some regular battery powered ionisation ones to bedrooms, as there is no wiring there for mains alarms.

Yeah I took the advice from the EI website and went with optical for hall, landing, and sitting room, with a heat detector for the kitchen. I'll probably add some regular battery powered ionisation ones to bedrooms, as there is no wiring there for mains alarms.

If you're upgrading to cover all rooms you should interconnect them ,it would be easy enough via an attic

I'm not sure i'd bother for a small house tbh, building regulations don't require it

Aico is what Ei Electronics sells to the UK market as. (In case you're not aware, Ei Electronics is an Irish company, and all Ei Electronics/Aico products are manufactured in Shannon, Co. Clare.)

I am an Aico Expert Installer (which is based around BS 5839-6). I don't believe that Ei have a similar scheme for I.S. 3218 installations.

If you're upgrading to cover all rooms you should interconnect them ,it would be easy enough via an attic
    Can also be done with RadioLINK bases/modules if using Ei Electronics/Aico products.

I might look into that alright while I'm wiring the new ones. Assuming one of the upstairs ones is the last on the line, it should be easy enough to take a live/neutral from it through the attic.

• Advertisement
Advertisement