Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First time buying gear

Options
  • 20-08-2018 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Could I ask for a rough price what I would be looking at for clothing?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

stevek93 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Could I ask for a rough price what I would be looking at for clothing?

Thanks

It's one of those 'how long is a piece of string' questions :)

Depends entirely on your budget. But entry level, you'll probably get bottom level helmet for maybe €150, textile jacket and pants for maybe €100-120? Gloves for €30-50. And boots, maybe €80? They're the essentials really and I'm taking a very rough guess.

Check out brick and mortar stores (for example, Cotters) as well as online (such as Louis.ie).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

Great thanks Jimmy, yes you are right I was very vague with my question :) but your answer helps a lot I was looking at some jackets they are extremely expensive and some others not so much. I will do my homework and see what is what also the IBT should tell me more again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Stanford

If possible buy your gear where they also sell bikes so you can see how the gear reacts to the riding position and the folks who work there will be helpful to you as they are usually bikers instead, if you are a beginner bring a biker friend with you for advice, don't script on the price of a helmet within reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Stanford wrote: »
    If possible buy your gear where they also sell bikes so you can see how the gear reacts to the riding position and the folks who work there will be helpful to you as they are usually bikers instead, if you are a beginner bring a biker friend with you for advice, don't script on the price of a helmet within reason.

This last bit is so important... You have to ask yourself, what price do I put on my head?

For what it's worth, I bought a Shark Vision and its been terrific so far. Great visibility (the name gives it away!), inbuilt sunvisor, comfy and I think it looks good too. Not the cheapest but a good lid is well worth the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Stanford

+1 for a good lid........a full face lid is excellent for the upcoming winter while an open face is best left for better weather, grasp the helmet tightly while wearing it and make sure there is no significant movement around your head.... there are ways of measuring your head to get an idea of size but you will find that the same size in different makes are not exact, try and stick to good brands like Shoei etc and ask staff for advice, Shark Vision are excellent quality lids

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

I recently got Akito pants + jacket for €200,LS2 helmet with inner visor €100. Richa gloves €60. Richa boots €75. Balaclava €8.

The sizes are arse ways. I take an XL In clothes yet I’m struggling to close the button on the pants which is XXL, jacket is fitting with plenty of space and my hi viz vest which is XL goes over the jacket not a bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭conor2469

I took a gamble with unpredictable gears sizes and bought all my stuff online. I measured up and followed size guides as best I could, willing to take the hit on return postage if the sizes were wrong. Luckily everything fitted perfectly.

Helmet - 80 euro.
    Gloves - 30 euro.
    Textile Jacket - 75 euro.
    Course Motorcycle jeans - 50 euro.
    Short textile Boots - 72 euro.

As you can tell by the prices I went for low cost items due to limited budget starting out. I looked up reviews on the stuff to gauge the best quality for the money I was paying. I plan on gradually upgrading as things break down or annoy me, so far so good though, no complaints.
    I also bought a cheap rain suit that I keep in the top box, in case I get caught in a downpour. Cheap gear isn't that waterproof.

Great thanks lads I am going on holiday for two weeks so I won't be buying anything until I am back I have a cheap helmet here the seller gave to me with the bike but it fogs from my breath as soon as I close the visor.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭Alkers

stevek93 wrote:
    Great thanks lads I am going on holiday for two weeks so I won't be buying anything until I am back I have a cheap helmet here the seller gave to me with the bike but it fogs from my breath as soon as I close the visor.

I wouldn't trust a used helmet but you can get a visor insert to prevent fogging on most helmets

Simona1986 wrote: »
    I wouldn't trust a used helmet but you can get a visor insert to prevent fogging on most helmets

No I don't trust it either no way of telling if it was involved in an accident. I am using it to practice bike in easte and will get a new one soon when I am fully on the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,940 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

You can buy all the gear bar the helmet 2nd hand. Check ebay, adverts, donedeal etc.

For your 1st helmet go to a shop with a decent selection and get your head measured. Then try on a few different brands to see what suits you, then wear the one you like for at least 10 minutes in the shop to see how it fits and feels. I've had Arai and Caberg with no issues but Shark never fitted right.

Del2005 wrote: »
    You can buy all the gear bar the helmet 2nd hand. Check ebay, adverts, donedeal etc.

For your 1st helmet go to a shop with a decent selection and get your head measured. Then try on a few different brands to see what suits you, then wear the one you like for at least 10 minutes in the shop to see how it fits and feels. I've had Arai and Caberg with no issues but Shark never fitted right.

Yes I was looking at jackets and trousers on Adverts, what I might do if the price is right and get the helmet new. I have a suzuki van van maybe the Shark might not suit the bike or thats just me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

As mentioned in my earlier post, I have an LS2 helmet, but also a HJC.

Both are great but the fogging can be annoying, as Del says you can get an attachment for the visor to stop it.

Best of luck with whichever one you go for.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,940 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

For fogging get a Pinlock capable helmet. Anything else is temporary so needs to be reapplied.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Might have a spare jacket knocking around. What size are ya? Where you based ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭Alkers

Del2005 wrote: »
    For fogging get a Pinlock capable helmet. Anything else is temporary so needs to be reapplied.

These work in non pinlock compatible helmets. I've a light sensing one on my clear visor and a clear one on my tinted visor and they work great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

My main concern about buying second hand is the waterproofing. While gear can be treated I would rather buy budget gear new that's known to be somewhat reliable than second hand gear that might need treating and will never be as good as new. Take a look at sportsbikeshop.co.uk and check out the reviews, they have lots of offers and have independent reviews on all gear and the expensive stuff doesn't get the best scores, for example...

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/207391 

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/232592

GBX wrote: »
    Might have a spare jacket knocking around. What size are ya? Where you based ?

Thanks for the message I am 36 inch chest but I am going on a long holiday so I will have no cash until October :)

zubair wrote: »
    My main concern about buying second hand is the waterproofing. While gear can be treated I would rather buy budget gear new that's known to be somewhat reliable than second hand gear that might need treating and will never be as good as new. Take a look at sportsbikeshop.co.uk and check out the reviews, they have lots of offers and have independent reviews on all gear and the expensive stuff doesn't get the best scores, for example...

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/207391 

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/232592

Yes you could be right, I have no idea how long jackets last but I do cycle have done for 10 years and I know gear does be great for a while then once a little water gets in you will be looking for new gear again. That are nice jackets how the sizes compared to a normal jacket?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 scarebus03

Budget a grand for gear, How much is your life worth?

Helmet full face 250-300 (Sharp test 4-5 star)
    Jacket 200-300
    Trousers 100-200
    Gloves 100-150
    Get a two piece rain over suit 70

You don't want to be on the wrong side of cheap gear if it goes arseways.

Fwiw

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭GBX

stevek93 wrote: »
    Thanks for the message I am 36 inch chest but I am going on a long holiday so I will have no cash until October :)

If it's there you can have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,111 ✭✭✭COH

I think I spent about 1100 on gear my first time around (that included a lock as well I think). Went to cotters and they helped me get stuff that fit right (I'm an awkard size after years of powerlifting :D ) and they gave me a decent discount on the whole lot. As above get a good textile jacket + Trousers, boots, gloves, decent full face lid.

As my mate said to me... 'Don't find out you should have bought better gear when you're sliding sideways down the fookin' M50'. :pac:

A bit dramatic... however I was hit my a car about year later and the gear did what it was supposed to. In particular the boots saved me a crushed foot as I ended up on my side stuck under the bike and the gloves as slid a decent distance across the road too.

There's lots of good value gear out there thats just as safe. You don't have to spend 1k to be safe, most of the extra money you invest in gear isn't to make it safer it's to make it more comfortable and have more features.

My 50 quid boots were just as safe as my 200 quid boots, but my 200 quid boots have stayed bone dry for 2 years and still look new. But my cheap boots eventually leaked. Both pairs saw action and were reusable afterwards. Same story with my first jacket vs my current jacket and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

I bought all my gear for €700 euro in cotters.
    I hadn't a clue the guy helped me out. Richa boots, gloves, trousers and jacket.shark helmet.
    With a bit of experience I didn't like the gloves and boots and changed these.

But they tend to be very busy at weekends and when you are new to bikes it can be intimidating so I found it best to go in on a quiet mid week day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

As someone said. If you can spend 1000€ on gear.

I have Ls2 helmet has a excellent sharp rating, and is a solid fit for me and you can get pin lock setup for it. Some helmets come with this included. 200/300. I'd strongly recommend a pin lock setup from the outset, the fogging will happen and it will try you mental!

Next important to me is back. Get a back protector. 100, I find it also helps my posture on the bike

Hands next, you'll more than likely need two sets of gloves, extra cold weather and normal summery weather. Dont go too bulky on gloves as you lose the feathering feeling. 100/150.

Boots next, up past the ankle, get something that has a locking mechanism. Velcrow is ****e, thats what I getting next. Steer clear of velcrow. Popping open while riding and all sorts. Mine are apine stars great waterproofing in fairness but the velcrow on there products is awful.

Then jacket and pants, look for something with thermal inserts that can come out in summer, plenty of pockets, good wind proofing and waterproofing.

Like if you come off sure it's gonna hurt. But good gear will stop any serious burns or grazing off the ground, support your back etc..

Then little things like neck warmer, mobile phone holder, thermal socks. Some jackets come with space for chest protection. The higher priced textiles have it built in sometimes. My trousers have hip inserts and knee protection built in.

Hope it helps. One other thing I will mention. Don't leave your gear down stairs. My house got broken into and they took what was down stairs the bastards.

If you have any money leftover after you take all the lads advice you might not have enough for a bike. Buy good cheap gear online, it's your first bike, no need to go mad. Also there is a thing with bike gear that you will need and want certain features but you don't know what those features are until you actually start riding. Best buy cheap first and invest later as you upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭mopi

I'd 2nd del2005, I went through the same process a few months back. I found adverts.ie very useful here's what I got
    AS Leather jacket with armour e200 (new)
    Caberg full face helmet e100 (new)
    Gloves with armour e15
    Alpinestars boots e20
    Saving on new RSP about e400
    In hindsight I think something like the Knox action shirt would have been a smart buy as it would open up the choice of jackets, others might like to comment on that. As we all should know by now 'winter is coming' so there should be a bit of an end if year clear out going on in many homes & shops. Good time to buy.

Advertisement