Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance for driver with 0% ncb

Options
  • 20-08-2018 4:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi All,

I'm 50 and buying a second-hand car. I have a full licence but haven't had a policy for about 10 years. Which insurers will insure me? Thanks. TW

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Potentially all of them. Ring around.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Hi All,

I'm 50 and buying a second-hand car. I have a full licence but haven't had a policy for about 10 years. Which insurers will insure me? Thanks. TW

Add 2 family members/ friends with a good NCB and no points, as named drivers.
    you'll save 3-600

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭jay48

Try kennco, 123 put me on to them when I was in a similar position as yourself and was having trouble getting a quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 tedwilson08

jay48 wrote: »
    Try kennco, 123 put me on to them when I was in a similar position as yourself and was having trouble getting a quote.

Thanks. They have to give me a call back but just got a quote of e2800 from firstireland

• Registered Users Posts: 48 stanley1989

Its4women were the chespest for me .. Driving a small engined car will also reduce cost quite abit .. Insurance companys in Ireland are gready gits best of luck op

• Advertisement

I forgot to ask - what price quote did you get from them compared to what you were originally quoted? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭jay48

I forgot to ask - what price quote did you get from them compared to what you were originally quoted? Thanks

I can't remember off hand, I didn't get a car in the end, iirc I got a quote of around 2400 and kennco came in around 1400. If you get a years named driver on a policy it opens the door to get quoted from all the other companies.

I can't remember off hand, I didn't get a car in the end, iirc I got a quote of around 2400 and kennco came in around 1400. If you get a years named driver on a policy it opens the door to get quoted from all the other companies.

Thanks again. But I'm confused as to the logic of it making my insurance cheaper if I just put a named driver on my policy. After all, it's still me driving the car.

Thanks again. But I'm confused as to the logic of it making my insurance cheaper if I just put a named driver on my policy. After all, it's still me driving the car.

If you have 2 named drivers there's a chance they'll be driving the car, so less chance of you driving, so less risk.

Trust me it 100% works.

I have my mother and gf on mine and it reduces it,

a friend came home from the UK recently and wanted insurance. No company would recognize her no claims in the UK because it was a company car, and wanted €1200, added 2 named drivers and it was down to 700

garv123 wrote: »
    If you have 2 named drivers there's a chance they'll be driving the car, so less chance of you driving, so less risk.

Trust me it 100% works.

I have my mother and gf on mine and it reduces it,

a friend came home from the UK recently and wanted insurance. No company would recognize her no claims in the UK because it was a company car, and wanted €1200, added 2 named drivers and it was down to 700

Wow! I can put a mate and uncle on mine with 10+ years ncb. It doesn't seem to matter to the insurers that the added drivers don't live with me, no?

• Advertisement

Wow! I can put a mate and uncle on mine with 10+ years ncb. It doesn't seem to matter to the insurers that the added drivers don't live with me, no?

Nope it doesn't

You can get a 10% discount with some people if someone in the house has a policy with them too tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

garv123 wrote: »
    Nope it doesn't

You can get a 10% discount with some people if someone in the house has a policy with them too tho.

I have my uncle and mothers friend as named drivers on her policy, no issue that they had different addresses. Is this a condition of some companies?

Advertisement