Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

question on application form

Options
  • 20-08-2018 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭

Hi there

My partner is in her second year of secondary school teaching and is applying for jobs at the moment.

One question that came up on one of the private school's application form is 'what school did you go to?'

She is not Irish - so really, the answer would have little meaning on these shores.

This question strikes me to be somewhat class profiling, and I wonder if a school claims to be an equal opportunities employer how can they ask it or should they ask it?

What do you think?

I went to an private secondary school here and certainly my school at the time would often remind us of our class and pitch our social standing against others etc..this came from the top down..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

I think that's perfectly fine to ask.
    It is part of her education.
    Also it was an experience that will affect her teaching e.g. type of school , mixed or single sex, voluntary/ catholic / private etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

ILIKEFOOD wrote: »
    Hi there

My partner is in her second year of secondary school teaching and is applying for jobs at the moment.

One question that came up on one of the private school's application form is 'what school did you go to?'

She is not Irish - so really, the answer would have little meaning on these shores.

This question strikes me to be somewhat class profiling, and I wonder if a school claims to be an equal opportunities employer how can they ask it or should they ask it?

What do you think?

I went to an private secondary school here and certainly my school at the time would often remind us of our class and pitch our social standing against others etc..this came from the top down..

I got asked this by a number of places when looking for teaching placement. I didn't think it was necessary at all. Our schooling has nothing to do with determining the person we have become.

Postgrad10 wrote: »
    I got asked this by a number of places when looking for teaching placement. I didn't think it was necessary at all. Our schooling has nothing to do with determining the person we have become.

Do you think they shouldn't ask about where you went to college either?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I've only ever been asked this by schools of a certain religious ethos.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭ILIKEFOOD

it was an experience that will affect her teaching e.g. type of school , mixed or single sex, voluntary/ catholic / private etc...

this is true - but those reviewing applicants couldn't possibly know in what way her own school has affected her teaching - this is the problem - it's an assumption that because she did or didn't go to such a school she is therefore going to be a certain way. It's pure profiling.

Secondary school is where you do the work to open the door to whatever institute you do your training in. Surely the training and the outcome of that qualification is all that matters when it comes to reviewing an application?

It shouldn't be something on an application that factors in a decision. Of course it would be strange not to be asked about your own personal secondary school experiences when applying for a secondary school job - but for me the time to ask that question is at the interview.

I realize I am making an assumption that this carries weight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Dunne_bkill

Sorry to hijack this thread but it's saves me making a new one. I have some queries in relation to questions of an application form I am completing at the moment.

I am an NQT and I qualified in May just gone. The application form is asking to state examples of professional development undertaken. The problem is I have none done and I feel like leaving this blank is a disaster. I completed a TEFL course but that's about it thus far. Is there anything I could do with this section to take the bad look off it?

I also have a similar issue with posts of responsibility. The application is asking for posts of responsibility or equivalent. I have never held a post of responsibility as I've never been employed in a school. I have experience through teaching practice but no posts of responsibility.

If anyone could help that would be great. Thanks.

Sorry to hijack this thread but it's saves me making a new one. I have some queries in relation to questions of an application form I am completing at the moment.

I am an NQT and I qualified in May just gone. The application form is asking to state examples of professional development undertaken. The problem is I have none done and I feel like leaving this blank is a disaster. I completed a TEFL course but that's about it thus far. Is there anything I could do with this section to take the bad look off it?

I also have a similar issue with posts of responsibility. The application is asking for posts of responsibility or equivalent. I have never held a post of responsibility as I've never been employed in a school. I have experience through teaching practice but no posts of responsibility.

If anyone could help that would be great. Thanks.
    Professional development- any courses/ in service / JCT training days you did in schools
    Posts of responsibility - none but mention any stuff you led as a PME

Advertisement