Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin to Gatwick Ryanair - when to arrive at Airport?

Options
  • 20-08-2018 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭

Hi, taking a flight to Gatwick from Dublin on weekday morning. What time do we need to arrive at airport taking into consideration it's still holiday season? Does everyone go through the same security gates.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭grimm2005

Provided you have no check in baggage, 90 minutes would be fine although I always play it safe and make it 2 hours.

Everyone goes through the same security gates unless you purchase a security fast pass in which case you go through a separate faster queue. I've never had more than a 20 minute wait at security though and it's very rare I'd be waiting that long, normally no more than 10 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,334 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

sadie9 wrote: »
    Hi, taking a flight to Gatwick from Dublin on weekday morning. What time do we need to arrive at airport taking into consideration it's still holiday season? Does everyone go through the same security gates.

The time of your flight doesn't really affect the time it takes to get through security as much as you think because the more flights that are departing in the next couple of hours, the more scanner/security lanes they open.

Paradoxically, there are risks associated with flying off-peak which can mean a longer wait getting through security. Families and elderly travellers are a major cause of bottlenecks.

I was at the head of the queue waiting to walk through the body scanner at an off-peak time of the day once, there was only a few lanes in action. My stuff had already gone through the conveyor but an elderly couple wearing loads of chunky jewellery were holding things up and it took an age to get them sorted. They were also the indirect cause of holding up other queues because the only female security officer on duty was dealing with our bejewelled lady while at least two other queues were stalled with women who had set off the alarm and were held up waiting to be frisked.

Not alone are there more lanes in action in the early morning but the people travelling at that hour tend to be well practised in the art of getting through security with no fuss.

Advertisement