Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any chance insuring 1.6 on a first time insurrer?

Options
  • 20-08-2018 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Hi All,

I am looking to get a Volvo 1.6 Petrol (estate), i am looking somewhere between 09-12 year range. I am 33r, and had drivers licence 12+ years i am holding full eu licence. I havent got insured on my name or being as second driver.

Now do i have any chance at all to get insured? and if so which i could try? I have seen the long list in the sticky but which could i have some chance at all, i know that my wallet will bleed heavily. :(

And how is it on quoting on a car i dont currently own? As i am also thinking on importing from UK.

Many thanks for help.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

All you can do is try.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

You'll have an awful time finding an insurer in general.
    I'd highly recommend to exchange your license, I couldn't get insurance for a 1.1 car with an EU license because I didn't live in the country for longer than 12 months at the time and there were only two insurers accepting me for the odds of 5k. It was cheaper to insure my partner on a provisional and name me as driver. After that time it didn't get easier despite insurance companies tooting around saying it would be grand after 12 months, I didn't find any insurer par the one who I was already named driver at who'd insure me.
    Shortly after exchanging I insured an 07 1.6 car for 1600 Euro, was by far the cheapest I got.
    Your best bet is to exchange the license and take the cheapest quote you'll get by ringing around.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 killswitx

thanks for that i am here in ireland 4+ years, i must check on that Irish licence but i am afraid i was told that it takes quite a while now to get changed i heard could take few months, not sure whats true on that.

Advertisement