Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does network & TV cabling fall under legislation?

Options
  • 20-08-2018 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭

As it says, really more of a simple general query.

Getting work done at the moment and a load of lights and sockets wired up. I'm going to ask the builder/contractor to run a few conduits between various rooms and add points with blanks over them, in case I want to run CAT5/6 and/or coax between the rooms in future. And obviously now while everything's wrecked is the time to do it.

Will the sparks though insist that he has to wire these up before he can certify the works, or does this fall outside the regs?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,541 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

seamus wrote: »
    Will the sparks though insist that he has to wire these up before he can certify the works, or does this fall outside the regs?

From a legal perspective anyone is permitted to install these cables.

Obviously they should be kept away from mains voltage cabling to prevent interference, for safety and so as not to impede the electrician.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

I know it's not your question, but if doing so, suggest you get a draw wire/string installed for the full length of each conduit. And make sure it is pull-able before accepting completion - otherwise you will run into trouble in future trying to install cables.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Cheers. Obviously the potential exists in the scenario I give, for someone else to run electrical cables and hook it up to the existing circuit. Would a sparks be happy enough that there were no cables at the time they certified the install, or would they prefer the empty cable runs didn't exist at all until they leave the job?

Maybe a "depends on the electrician" question, but as a rule of thumb?

Edit; Good call on the draw wire, I would never have thought of that!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭meercat

I think you’d be better off to install the cables now and not bother with draw wires tbh. It’s way simpler and shouldn’t cost too much.
    Your rec may be happy to do this but he shouldn’t have any reason to complain if you do it yourself.
    Let him do his 1st fix first though so you can see the runs of any cables that might interfere with signals.

Advertisement