Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stove installers conflicting information

Options
  • 20-08-2018 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭

We are in the process of choosing an installer to supply and install a multi fuel stove, we've contacted a few, and have narrowed it down to two, I've found good comments about both on boards.

The issue I have is that one installer is saying that a new wall we just had put in has combustible material and must be stripped down, this wall has a double slab of the fire proof pink slab on it, (I'm aware that the pink slabs only protects from fire for 30 minutes, so 60 minutes with the double slab)

The installer that want's to strip back the wall has said he is going by HETAS regulation. (this installer has not been out to the house, and is going of information I have provided and pictures) 

The other installer told us that there was no need to strip back the wall, as we were going with a newer stove, that will be insulated at the back and there will be no direct heat on that wall.(This installer called out to the house, to take measurements etc, and seemed very knowledgeable)  

Honestly I'm leaning towards the installer that has told me I don't need to remove the new wall, but I'd like someone with a bit more knowledge on the subject to give an opinion, I know the first supplier is probably following HETAS regulation, but maybe in my situation it's over kill, and if as the other installer has suggested, that there will be no direct heat on the wall, I don't really see the issue.

I also can't imagine that the second installer would install the stove in way that was dangerous, risking the reputation of their business...  

Anyone with knowledge on this I would be very grateful for your input.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Krazzzzy Kay

Nobody any insight on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭OwenM

Check the installation instructions that came with the stove, for clearance measurements. Is this a freestanding stove? Boiler or dry? If its a boiler I'd think your fine - they never really get that hot - but I'm just some random guy on the Internet and you can't sue me when your house burns down and your house insurance won't pay out. 
    Is the guy who doesn't want to strip the wall insured and will you get a receipt from him? If you pay him under the counter then you have no legal recourse against him.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Krazzzzy Kay

OwenM wrote: »
    Check the installation instructions that came with the stove, for clearance measurements. Is this a freestanding stove? Boiler or dry? If its a boiler I'd think your fine - they never really get that hot - but I'm just some random guy on the Internet and you can't sue me when your house burns down and your house insurance won't pay out. 
    Is the guy who doesn't want to strip the wall insured and will you get a receipt from him? If you pay him under the counter then you have no legal recourse against him.

We went with a third installer, they're also HETAS certified and said that the removal of the wall was completely unnecessary, and that we simply needed to use cladding.

Thanks though random guy on the Internet:D

• Registered Users Posts: 31,882 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Would you mind sending me a pm of who you are planning on using?
    Struggling to find anyone I trust in Dublin tbh.
    I got two quotes crazy difference in prices and what they recommending...

Advertisement