Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One point short :-(

Options
  • 20-08-2018 10:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hi. My son is 1 point short for Business Studies in UL. What is the likelihood of him getting offered a place in the second round?
    Is there anywhere I can check on what the first round points were for last year? I know what the final points were (419) but would like to see if this was lowered after the first round.
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭poppy37

First round points were 419 as well..there was a supplement with the independent on Saturday that gave first round and final round points last year...best of luck hope things work out for him..my son had sports science as first choice but only got 465(which I still think is brilliant) in his leaving cert. we were preparing for arts in Mary I, points came down to 456 and now he reckons he would prefer arts..aargh I’m so stressed from it all at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭westtipp

Fingers crossed. It's very stressful! My fella had Arts in UL as his 3rd choice so at least he can take that offer and hope for the best. On a separate note, he has until tomorrow to decide if he'll accept the accommodation or commute :'(

When people talk about summer of 2018 the weeks of sunshine won’t be the first thing to come to my mind!!!! The youngest is doing transition year whether she wants to or not, I need a long break before this again.
    Arts in UL in supposed to be a better course than Mary I and even if he accepts it he could still get business down the line. One point off seems so cruel.
    My son has decided he’s going with sports science now so accommodation the next hurdle to cross. He could also commute but it’s 45mins each way.
    The very best of luck. It’s good to know I’m not the only one stressed to high heaven.

poppy37 wrote: »
    When people talk about summer of 2018 the weeks of sunshine won’t be the first thing to come to my mind!!!! The youngest is doing transition year whether she wants to or not, I need a long break before this again.
    Arts in UL in supposed to be a better course than Mary I and even if he accepts it he could still get business down the line. One point off seems so cruel.
    My son has decided he’s going with sports science now so accommodation the next hurdle to cross. He could also commute but it’s 45mins each way.
    The very best of luck. It’s good to know I’m not the only one stressed to high heaven.

I feel your pain!! Glad he got his course anyway. Has he booked any accommodation yet?

My fella could commute. We live 30mins from Limerick and I work near UL but he wants to stay for first year at least. He's paying for his own accommodation otherwise he'd have to commute as we couldn't afford €5,600 a year!
    If he gets the bus/train in it'll take an hour and cost minimum €50 a week anyway 🀔

He’s on the ul priority waiting list so more places supposed to become available tomorrow. Also next in line for a place in a house ten minutes from the college which would be much cheaper. It’s so expensive though he has been working all summer and has the registration fee but we will have to fund the accommodation. Fair play to your son being able to fund his accommodation. They all want to live on campus especially for the first year, I guess we can only take it one day at a time.

Let me know if he gets into business, I will keep my fingers crossed for him

• Advertisement

poppy37 wrote: »
    He’s on the ul priority waiting list so more places supposed to become available tomorrow. Also next in line for a place in a house ten minutes from the college which would be much cheaper. It’s so expensive though he has been working all summer and has the registration fee but we will have to fund the accommodation. Fair play to your son being able to fund his accommodation. They all want to live on campus especially for the first year, I guess we can only take it one day at a time.

Let me know if he gets into business, I will keep my fingers crossed for him

Unfortunately the points didn't come down in rd 2 do my lad is out of luck unless he gets a rd 3 offer. He's accepted arts so fingers crossed he likes it

westtipp wrote: »
    Unfortunately the points didn't come down in rd 2 do my lad is out of luck unless he gets a rd 3 offer. He's accepted arts so fingers crossed he likes it

That’s such tough luck, sorry to hear that, hope he likes arts. I have my son told if he doesn’t like sports science pull out before the end of October and try and find a job until next year. At least that way we won’t lose out on a years free fees and get our registration fee back.

The very best of luck to you and your son.

Advertisement