Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing Mi 5

Options
  • 20-08-2018 9:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭

My Xiaoimi Mi 5 got a bit wet in my pocked in heavy rain and is a bit screwed..

I have been looking for a replacement, the three main things I want is a great camera, great battery and good value for money. It seems to me like 400 euro is a good price point to get a good camera and good phone in general though I am wondering to some extent how some of the phones around 200 would actually compare..

The two phones I am thinking about are the Mi 8 and the Huawei Mate 9. I know the Mate 9 is much older though I really do not know much about phone hardware so I do not know if there is a significant difference in spec.

mate 9 is 430 euro on eglobal

Kirin 960 Octa-Core + i6 co-processor
    128 GB, 6 GB RAM
    Curved screen which im not sure about..
    4000mAh battery is good..

Mi 8 chinese version is 386 euro
    Qualcomm Snapdragon 845, i presume this is better but no idea..
    6GB, 128GB..
    3400 mAh though it may be more effeciant and not need as big a battery..

So basically any opinions on which of these phones is better in general, is 400 the "best" price point for value/spec and is there any other phones that have as good a camera but better in other ways?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

Interesting post because I too have a Mi 5 and wondering what to upgrade to!

To be honest, I love my Mi 5 - probably the best phone I've ever had. Have it over 14 months now. Use it mainly for work email, social media, Spotify, and taking photos with the very good camera. So not heavy gaming use or the like.

Wondering whether the full Mi A2 would be a significant improvement over the Mi 5. The lack of NFC is a bit of an irritation, and the battery looks the same.

Anyone done a comparison of the Mi 5 versus the A2 (not just the comparisons you can do on GSM Arena or the like)?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Sorry to drag this up - Replacing my mi 5 right now - what did you guys get and how does it compare. Had my 5 for nearly 4 years but the battery is bet and she is starting to slow up. Owes me nothing tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

ardinn wrote: »
    Sorry to drag this up - Replacing my mi 5 right now - what did you guys get and how does it compare. Had my 5 for nearly 4 years but the battery is bet and she is starting to slow up. Owes me nothing tho.

I went from mi 5s to a pocophone and its been a great upgrade. At least the fingerprint reader works again... Good phone but ivenever used it to its full capability.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Orderofchaos

machalla wrote: »
    I went from mi 5s to a pocophone and its been a great upgrade. At least the fingerprint reader works again... Good phone but ivenever used it to its full capability.

Went from a redmi note 3 to the Poco. Great value phone with great performance and a good camera. No NFC is probably the only drawback but not a deal breaker for me. Decent battery life too. Redmi note 7 might be worth a look either.

mi 9t

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭smilerf

rowanh wrote: »
    My Xiaoimi Mi 5 got a bit wet in my pocked in heavy rain and is a bit screwed..

I have been looking for a replacement, the three main things I want is a great camera, great battery and good value for money. It seems to me like 400 euro is a good price point to get a good camera and good phone in general though I am wondering to some extent how some of the phones around 200 would actually compare..

The two phones I am thinking about are the Mi 8 and the Huawei Mate 9. I know the Mate 9 is much older though I really do not know much about phone hardware so I do not know if there is a significant difference in spec.

mate 9 is 430 euro on eglobal

Kirin 960 Octa-Core + i6 co-processor
    128 GB, 6 GB RAM
    Curved screen which im not sure about..
    4000mAh battery is good..

Mi 8 chinese version is 386 euro
    Qualcomm Snapdragon 845, i presume this is better but no idea..
    6GB, 128GB..
    3400 mAh though it may be more effeciant and not need as big a battery..

So basically any opinions on which of these phones is better in general, is 400 the "best" price point for value/spec and is there any other phones that have as good a camera but better in other ways?
    You can get a Huawei Mate 10 Pro on Amazon for just over 400.
    I have it
    Great camera and battery

Advertisement