Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance won’t insure me on new car?

Options
  • 20-08-2018 9:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi everyone,
    So I recently bought a 07 GT TSI golf for myself with a 170bhp and my insurance company ( Liberty) are saying they won’t insurance that you have to be over 30 to drive that car? Is this actually a thing?? I was insured on a 2.0L diesel bmw that was 170bhp so I don’t understand the problem. I have to them a copy of the log book to show I bought the car and then they decide weather they insure me or not?
    Any help about this would be really appreciated!!
    Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Only thing you can do, is shop around. They don't HAVE to insure you. Or they could charge silly money. Get on the internet and check the main insurance companies (there should be a link stickied I think in this forum) and check brokers as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Ah the joys of insurance. When I was younger I was buying a Ford mondeo. They would insure me on the LX model but not the zetec.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 emilyward14

MarkR wrote: »
    Only thing you can do, is shop around. They don't HAVE to insure you. Or they could charge silly money. Get on the internet and check the main insurance companies (there should be a link stickied I think in this forum) and check brokers as well.

Thanks MarkR, I only bought the car as a run around until I saved and got something newer so I’m absolutely raging 😀 I really liked liberty as they have 3rd party extension for over 21s but I’ll have to just shop around and see how it goes. Has anyone ever had experience in entering their car but under different version? So mines a GT TSI sport but if I enter it as just GT sport it quotes me and only 900 for the year. I’m thinking my type of car is black listed?
    Thanks for the help!

iamtony wrote: »
    Ah the joys of insurance. When I was younger I was buying a Ford mondeo. They would insure me on the LX model but not the zetec.

It’s absolutley crazy. I’ve never heard of anyone who has had this problem!?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,866 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

My insurance company wouldn't insure my Honda Civic Type R initially. I asked to speak to a manager and pointed out they had insured me for driving a 2.0 16V petrol for the previous 10+ claim-free years. The manager agreed to insure me but their system actually wouldn't allow them to enter it in the computer so they they put it in as a different model and made a note on the system of the actual model.

This country, from the politicians on down, has a weird and immature attitude to cars. Ironically this has lead to exceedingly expensive insurance for probably the lowest powered fleet of cars in the OECD. The Insurance companies are absolutely raking it in as a result. Some years ago it was reported that the Irish car insurance industry made significantly more profit than the UK car insurance industry.

The cost and agravation of car ownership in this country is one of the reasons I am planning on emigrating shortly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Your current insurer is obliged to cover your vehicle providing it is roadworthy, you have a licence to drive it and it's not against the public interest. Having said that, they can restrict cover to 3rd party only

• Registered Users Posts: 19,866 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

They are not obliged to insure it for a reasonable or affordable premium, so technically they have to offer, but realistically, they don't, as they can just say their premium is €10,000 a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

Thanks MarkR, I only bought the car as a run around until I saved and got something newer so I’m absolutely raging 😀 I really liked liberty as they have 3rd party extension for over 21s but I’ll have to just shop around and see how it goes. Has anyone ever had experience in entering their car but under different version? So mines a GT TSI sport but if I enter it as just GT sport it quotes me and only 900 for the year. I’m thinking my type of car is black listed?
    Thanks for the help!

That's be fraudulent, and you more than likely wouldn't be covered in the event of a claim.

Nevertheless, You wouldn't be able to do so, as the insurance company will ask for your reg number which will give them the correct model.

Hi everyone,
    Just a quick update. I got on to them again after this mornings conversation of ‘theres Not much chance you have to be over 30’ and I got a much nicer lady who put the file as urgent and she got back to me 5 minutes later and said that’s no problem your now insured and we have given you a refund of 100e!? Don’t exactly know how they go from one extreme to another but I’m delighted to say the least. Whole morning of stressing for nothing though!?
    Thanks for the advice and the quick replies!

Hi everyone,
    Just a quick update. I got on to them again after this mornings conversation of ‘theres Not much chance you have to be over 30’ and I got a much nicer lady who put the file as urgent and she got back to me 5 minutes later and said that’s no problem your now insured and we have given you a refund of 100e!? Don’t exactly know how they go from one extreme to another but I’m delighted to say the least. Whole morning of stressing for nothing though!?
    Thanks for the advice and the quick replies!

They have a preference for not wanting an U30 to drive that car. If you ring up to make an enquiry if you are thinking about buying the car, they will take the approach of declinature hoping you will buy something else. If you advise you have ownership of the vehicle, they should just acknowledge their obligations and provide cover

• Advertisement

cnocbui wrote: »
    They are not obliged to insure it for a reasonable or affordable premium, so technically they have to offer, but realistically, they don't, as they can just say their premium is €10,000 a year.

They cannot (as is often quoted here) pull a figure out of their hoop. It cannot amount to an effective declinature. If referred to the Declined Cases Committee in Insurance Ireland, they must be able to demonstrate that their standard loadings apply. As you say though, this does not have to be what the policyholder considers reasonable or affordable

• Registered Users Posts: 25,359 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

So mines a GT TSI sport but if I enter it as just GT sport it quotes me and only 900 for the year. I’m thinking my type of car is black listed?

I know you've been sorted but those two cars are the same model. In July/August 2007, VW merged the 'Sport' trim pack into the GT and called it a GT Sport. Both petrol GT models had the TSI engine, the options were 140 and 170 PS - the German equivalent of bhp.

There was no 2007 petrol GT Sport which did not have a TSI engine. Pre-July 2007, the model was just called 'GT'.

I know because I had a Sept. 2007 GT Sport with the 170 PS egine - twin exhausts.

Advertisement