Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N51 Athboy to Navan

Options
  • 19-08-2018 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Anyone any info on this section of the road that goes over the bog is going to be repaired? There is new electronic signs in place warning of narrow verge but the past few months it has got really bad with parts of the road sinking especially when heading towards Athboy from Navan. Its a National road but you cant do more than 20km/h over these bumps. I dont know how there hasnt been an accident as the speed limit is 100km/h.
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭roadmaster

dar_cool wrote: »
    Hi all,

Anyone any info on this section of the road that goes over the bog is going to be repaired? There is new electronic signs in place warning of narrow verge but the past few months it has got really bad with parts of the road sinking especially when heading towards Athboy from Navan. Its a National road but you cant do more than 20km/h over these bumps. I dont know how there hasnt been an accident as the speed limit is 100km/h.
    Cheers

Why would you fix it when you have so much fun trying not to spill coffee while driving that section of roads There has being a land take there for well over ten years but nothing done. The cost of replacing that road would be horrendous you would be looking at a hell of a lot of piling i would say similar to what happened coffeys on the M7 . It would be probably cheaper to dual Delvin to kells and make that the route to navan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭dar_cool

Ha ha yeah I know to have my tea drank by then or else its going allover the place.
    They done a patch up job last year which improved it for a while but its shocking at the minute. Wonder will they patch it again

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭roadmaster

dar_cool wrote: »
    Ha ha yeah I know to have my tea drank by then or else its going allover the place.
    They done a patch up job last year which improved it for a while but its shocking at the minute. Wonder will they patch it again

Meath Co Co dont seam to be to pro active when comes to National Roads maybe they feel its TII business and not theres

Emailed the local councellor about this and he got back to me today. Apparently works to repair the road will start on september 10th but a long term scheme for this section of the road is at an advanced design stage which is good to hear!!

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭robclay26

It is the worst I have ever experienced now! Really cracking and and sinking, notice it in the van, looking down on the surface and some cracks are quite big!
    They will just fill the hollows with tarmac like before and let it sink again over the next few years. Needs to be widened and pile drived to stop it.

• Advertisement

Road will be closed from 10th to 14th for emergency works. Hopefully they do a good job on it and it evens out the humps and cracks!!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Badly needed. The entire road needs to be completely dug up and relaid over the bog (and straightened and widened) in the long run. These works next week I presume are only just to resurface the section to even out the worst bumps.

I’ve driven this road quite a few times over the past couple of years and it was always bumpy but I did notice how bad it had become the last time I drove it.

In the longer term, the Navan to Delvin Road needs widening, realignment, a bypass for Athboy and Delvin and a roundabout junction near Delvin with the N52. Probably quite a long way off at this stage.

Passed over it today after been closed for a week and they done a great job on it. Still bit bumpy further down towards Navan but way better. Be interesting to see what the long term plans are for that road.

Advertisement