Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spending too long studying maths...

Options
  • 19-08-2018 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭

My maths is okay but I'm a slow burner. I'll eventually know how to do the Leaving Cert Higher Level stuff but it will take me a while to figure it out. The thing is if I want to get a good grade in maths it requires me to study for a significant amount of time. I'm able to get the grade in maths but it just takes me so long to figure out things.

Is this a sign that I should drop to ordinary when school starts? I want to do Computer Science

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

naxmax9 wrote: »
    My maths is okay but I'm a slow burner. I'll eventually know how to do the Leaving Cert Higher Level stuff but it will take me a while to figure it out. The thing is if I want to get a good grade in maths it requires me to study for a significant amount of time. I'm able to get the grade in maths but it just takes me so long to figure out things.

Is this a sign that I should drop to ordinary when school starts? I want to do Computer Science
    You should probably wait a while before making that choice, especially if you're thinking of Computer Science where some courses, at least, are likely to have HL Maths as a Minimum Requirement.

I presume you're doing your LC next June?

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭naxmax9

You should probably wait a while before making that choice, especially if you're thinking of Computer Science where some courses, at least, are likely to have HL Maths as a Minimum Requirement.

I presume you're doing your LC next June?
    No I'm doing the LC in 2020. I spent TY studying maths with the HL book and got a lot done. I was able to do the stuff but it usually took me about 3-4hrs before I understood it properly and get the exam questions right

I spent TY studying maths with the HL book and got a lot done. I was able to do the stuff but it usually took me about 3-4hrs before I understood it properly and get the exam questions right
    Well, now you will have a teacher to explain it to you (and maybe classmates to give a hand now and again too if they're a decent sort; you can always repay when you understand something in maths or another subject).

I would strongly advise giving it a go, especially if you want to do CS; I think you will be limiting your choices if you don't, and maybe come to regret it.

For interest, have a look at course options in the area and see which ones require HL maths.

Remember that very few of your classmates will be walking in next week understanding ANY of the course; most won't have looked at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭naxmax9

Well, now you will have a teacher to explain it to you (and maybe classmates to give a hand now and again too if they're a decent sort; you can always repay when you understand something in maths or another subject).

I would strongly advise giving it a go, especially if you want to do CS; I think you will be limiting your choices if you don't, and maybe come to regret it.

For interest, have a look at course options in the area and see which ones require HL maths.

Remember that very few of your classmates will be walking in next week understanding ANY of the course; most won't have looked at it.

Thank you! I will stick with it then :) I checked Trinity and HL maths is needed for CS and i would be devastated if I ended up being locked out of a course because of a subject requirement

Thank you! I will stick with it then :) I checked Trinity and HL maths is needed for CS and i would be devastated if I ended up being locked out of a course because of a subject requirement
    Exactly! ;);)

• Advertisement
Advertisement