Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RSA advert playing before cinema releases

Options
  • 19-08-2018 12:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭

Hi all,
    Slightly off topic. But I cant be alone with this.
    Has anyone else had there evening ruined by this advert playing before the main feature.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtyOq5ATw18

Its an RSA advert featuring footage of a four year old killed by a drunk driver. It also includes a short interview with members of his family.

I appreciate what happened is tragic.

But after dropping the best part of 50 euros on two cinema tickets and popcorn, its the last thing I want to see before a light hearted comedy.

I have seen this advert plat before Infinity War, Game Night, Tag, Ant Man, Spiderman. Pretty much every big release.

And I know how awful this sounds. But it ruins my night and the enjoyment of the movie.

I don't think its fair to play an advert like that in front of an audience who have paid for an enjoyable night out and to forget about there worries for an hour or two.

I know drink driving is a problem and that it ruins lives, But if I am in my local cinema on a Friday or Saturday night. NOT DRINKING. Then I am not the target audience for this advert.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

No. I have never felt anything of mine was ruined by raising my awareness of the danger of drink driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭blade1

If it saves even one life,it far outweighs your discomfort.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

The only ad I have ever seen before a film that left a lasting impression on me is the advert for the food safety authority that ran before We Are What We Are.
    We Are What We Are is a Mexican movie about a family of cannibals.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

A lot of cinemas have bars and allow you to bring your drink in. And even if they don't, people may go drinking afterwards. I'm not sure these ads work, or at least they are not how I would address the problem, but a cinema seems like a pretty good place to show them tbh.

That said, I am totally desensitised to these ads. I didn't even realise that ad was a real case. It always looked fake to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,881 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

The fact that you created the thread proves how successful showing this in the cinema actually is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,261 ✭✭✭Homer

Pegmatite wrote: »
    Hi all,

And I know how awful this sounds. But it ruins my night and the enjoyment of the movie.

Jesus wept we have reached peak snowflake :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Meh, they're a bit of a buzzkill, especially prior to a crowdpleaser, but it's 30 seconds of discomfort and if it gives 1 person a clatter on the head to quit a disgraceful decision then job done. It's a little selfish to make a thing of it TBH. As for "ruining" a night, come off it.

And as there are still clowns such as the Healy-Raes who'd argue to allow drink driving, adverts like this are needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

I'm not sure these ads work, or at least they are not how I would address the problem, but a cinema seems like a pretty good place to show them tbh.

The attitude in Dublin has changed dramatically over the last 10-20 years. You used to be able consider driving home out loud and you'd be told "you'll be grand" now you'll be told "don't be a ****" and looked at with disgust.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I mean, if they *really* get to you, you could just pull out your phone for 30 seconds and distract yourself while waiting for the next ad?

Friend of mine had a brother Killed in a car accident. Went to the cinema to try and distract themselves and an ad like this came on.

They haven't been to the cinema since. Found it incredibly uncomfortable. I was trying to talk about the seats, the heat, the lighting, anything at all to act as a distraction from the car crash on the huge screen in front of us, but it was pointless. That was the night (and possibly forthcoming month) ruined for them. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,673 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

It is a buzz kill like those
    ''Bin your Gum when your done and avoid a 150.00 litter fine''

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It is a buzz kill like those
    ''Bin your cum when your done and avoid a 150.00 litter fine''

And for god's sake, use a sock if you must do it in public.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

They haven't been to the cinema since. Found it incredibly uncomfortable. I was trying to talk about the seats, the heat, the lighting, anything at all to act as a distraction from the car crash on the huge screen in front of us, but it was pointless. That was the night (and possibly forthcoming month) ruined for them.

Friend of mine had a brother Killed in a car accident. Went to the cinema to try and distract themselves and an ad like this came on.

Terribly sad to hear that tbh, I'm sure it was very uncomfortable for them...but...the only way the scourge of drink driving will be eradicated is if this disgraceful act is publicised in place's it is likely to begin with or has the most attention.

I empathise with them, I really do but they are about preventing unnecessary deaths in the future

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭Pegmatite

I think your comment is a little unfair Homer. If you are going to see a blockbuster. You are going to out for a night, to be entertained, and you are paying a lot for it.  
    The advert that I have linked to is shocking, graphic and to be honest very depressing. And not really suitable. There is no warning before hand. 
    If you are visiting a restaurant or stake house, you dont expect to shown images of animals being slaughtered or starving children while you wait for your meal. Its not appropriate, and unfair.
    If I am visiting the cinema, I am paying to be entertained and to escape the real world. That is my expectation and I think its a reasonable one.
    The last thing I want to see is images of dying children.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭Pegmatite

no.8 wrote: »
    They haven't been to the cinema since. Found it incredibly uncomfortable. I was trying to talk about the seats, the heat, the lighting, anything at all to act as a distraction from the car crash on the huge screen in front of us, but it was pointless. That was the night (and possibly forthcoming month) ruined for them.

Terribly sad to hear that tbh, I'm sure it was very uncomfortable for them...but...the only way the scourge of drink driving will be eradicated is if this disgraceful act is publicised in place's it is likely to begin with or has the most attention.

I empathise with them, I really do but they are about preventing unnecessary deaths in the future

So maybe start showing it in bars and clubs.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

They haven't been to the cinema since. Found it incredibly uncomfortable. I was trying to talk about the seats, the heat, the lighting, anything at all to act as a distraction from the car crash on the huge screen in front of us, but it was pointless. That was the night (and possibly forthcoming month) ruined for them. :o

This is certainly the sort of situation when I can see someone being legitimately distressed by this sort of ad. A perfectly understandable response if traumatised.

On the other hand, it’s impossible and indeed dangerous to bubble wrap the world... and that’s particularly true when raising awareness of vital social issues. What the efficacy of these ads is I don’t know, but if they do work they’re important to get out there, while bearing in mind the impact they’ll unfortunately have on actual victims.

And beyond just pre-film PSAs, the films themselves can’t avoid tackling potentially distressing subject matter. If anything, there’s a big problem in that most widely released films aggressively avoid confronting any real-world issues in the name of escapism... but that’s a different discussion!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

I know drink driving is a problem and that it ruins lives, But if I am in my local cinema on a Friday or Saturday night. NOT DRINKING. Then I am not the target audience for this advert.

Everyone is the target audience, because it's a societal problem that's continuous, not just whatever you happen to be doing at the time. Some people going to the cinema Friday night could well go drink driving on Saturday.

It's still rampant, gardaí know and do nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭verycool

Quick question, did you raise this issue with the manager of the cinema?

Would have loved to hear the response.

It's a horrific ad all right. But that's the point of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

If you're drunk out of your mind, i very much doubt you will be recollecting a TV advert you seen recently while trying to get your key in the ignition.

The adds do nothing in terms of prevention if you ask me and i agree a cinema is not the place to show these adds, if they must be shown, they should be done so in pubs and clubs, y'know, where the heavy drinking happens..

In terms of reasoning as to why the cinema does show them, my guess is if the cinema sells booze, they will probably have to show these adds.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Why should you see adverts when you've paid to see a movie, TV licence/Sky encryption channels, Youtube premium* or poster adverts on trains?

Vote with your feet and go do something else.

* friend took the trial and adverts have played before content on 7 nonconsecutive occasions.

Btw those who called on and supported stricter drink driving laws were clearly the snowflakes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,261 ✭✭✭Homer

I think your comment is a little unfair Homer.

In fairness you said it ruined your night? If you had said it annoyed you or whatever that would be fine but considering the topic it was a bit much I felt to say it ruined your evening/movie experience

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Hi all,
    Slightly off topic. But I cant be alone with this.
    Has anyone else had there evening ruined by this advert playing before the main feature.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtyOq5ATw18

Its an RSA advert featuring footage of a four year old killed by a drunk driver. It also includes a short interview with members of his family.

I appreciate what happened is tragic.

But after dropping the best part of 50 euros on two cinema tickets and popcorn, its the last thing I want to see before a light hearted comedy.

I have seen this advert plat before Infinity War, Game Night, Tag, Ant Man, Spiderman. Pretty much every big release.

I don't think its fair to play an advert like that in front of an audience who have paid for an enjoyable night out and to forget about there worries for an hour or two.

Just walk out straight away and look for your money back or it'll never change

Anyway it seems like a bullsh!t advert

- head on collision

- other driver got out of his car after the crash and walked up the road a bit while on the phone

Four year old Ciarán Treacy was killed in a head-on collision with a drunk driver

Ciarán died as a result of the collision while Gillian was left with devastating injuries.

what type of cars were they driving ?

One of Gillian Treacy’s last sightings before the fatal collision was of O’Rourke slumped over the steering wheel as
    his year-old Avensis crossed the road towards her 12-year-old Mondeo.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Newer Avensis :

real life isn't ncaps tho

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Ronanc1

Seeing as this is the film forum I would'nt mind sitting the Healy Raes down ala...

tenor.png

and force them to watch that RSA ad :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭BrookieD

I think your comment is a little unfair Homer. If you are going to see a blockbuster. You are going to out for a night, to be entertained, and you are paying a lot for it.  
    The advert that I have linked to is shocking, graphic and to be honest very depressing. And not really suitable. There is no warning before hand. 
    If you are visiting a restaurant or stake house, you dont expect to shown images of animals being slaughtered or starving children while you wait for your meal. Its not appropriate, and unfair.
    If I am visiting the cinema, I am paying to be entertained and to escape the real world. That is my expectation and I think its a reasonable one.
    The last thing I want to see is images of dying children.

Listen, escape the real world when the ads are finished, like others have said drink driving is a problem and i would rather a few snowflakes get a little annoyed at having their big night out at the flix ruined than see another person die on the roads that was caused by the selfish act of drink driving.

In short as my dear lady wife would say - build a bridge and get over yourself. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 55,452 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

FYI Pegmatite closed their account 2 days ago, so you guys are talking to yourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭1hnr79jr65

My fiancee's brother was killed by a drink driver, we welcome these ads, if they even stop 1 stupid person from killing another by drinking and driving the the ads are worth it.

I have no sympathy for anyone caught drink driving, if i had my way all drink drivers would be banned from the roads for a minimum of 10 years and those that kill go to jail as serve a minimum of 20 years and are then banned from roads for 10 years after they get out.

More ads, pubs, resutaurants and clubs should be made to mandatorily play these ads peridoically and more guards on roads doing drink and drug checkpoints.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Disposable1

I'm honestly surprised at the negative reaction you're getting for posting this Original Poster. First of all, the adverts are designed to be upsetting, that's the specific brief. So, of course it is perfectly okay to be upset, disturbed and even a little bit angry at being forced to sit through something upsetting. The first time this came on I was watching Guardians of the Galaxy 2, I didn't know what it was, could have been a trailer, so I watched it and became really upset, deeply saddened actually, because I'm a human being with emotions. I also became a little bit angry and thought "****ing hell, I came here to watch a talking racoon". Since then I have been able to look away when the ad comes on, but that first time, I was right there with you buddy.

Advertisement