Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blocking IMEI after phones got robbed

Options
  • 18-08-2018 10:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭

My sister and brother in law phones were stolen from their car today.

They had an iPhone 7 and a Huawei p20 pro.

Both phones are from italian operators; they rang them to block the numbers but also want to block the IMEI , they need to wait until they return back home to find this from the boxes.

The question is; if they block the IMEI from italy, will the phone be also unusable with an Irish sim?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

Yes if the phones are unlocked the will be usable in ireland.if it was me I would remotely wipe both phones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,331 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

jacksie66 wrote: »
    Nope. Its only blocked in the country that the original operator is in. That's why alot of phones robbed in Ireland head to the UK or Europe.

And Algeria and Morocco.
    jacksie66 wrote: »
    No Europe wide IMEI database..

It would just guarantee that all stolen phones would go to Asia and Africa and wouldn't really dent the trade in stolen phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

Could you not contact the operators in Ireland and see if they will block the imei's of those phones here?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭j4vier

Could you not contact the operators in Ireland and see if they will block the imei's of those phones here?

I was wondering this. I need to have the IMEIs first which they won't get until they return back home, but if it's an option it will be worth doing

• Advertisement
Advertisement