Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Payg sim in a 4g mobile broadband router

Options
  • 18-08-2018 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

Having recent poor Internet signal using mobile phone as a hot-spot. Is it possible to use a mobile phone sim in a 4g mobile broadband device. Operator has told me it won't work e.g using it on something like a huawei b525.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,853 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

There's a chance the Huawei b525 could be locked to a specific network and may not allow you use your SIM in it, that could stop you. It could result in tethering charges but seeing as you don't seem to be having them when using your phone as a hot-spot you should be ok, double check when using it that your credit is not being used.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Wquirke1234

There's a chance the Huawei b525 could be locked to a specific network and may not allow you use your SIM in it, that could stop you. It could result in tethering charges but seeing as you don't seem to be having them when using your phone as a hot-spot you should be ok, double check when using it that your credit is not being used.

Phone operator told me directly that their phone sim won't work in their locked router . Only their mmb sim will. At least they say that . But not sure I believe them. They obviously want you to sign into a 2 Yr contract. I'd obviously prefer to buy a router preferably unlocked and try using payg sim with unlimited data. But don't wanna fork over 150 to 200 quid on a router and then find out it doesn't work

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭shigllgetcha

Im using a three 4g sim payg €20 pm as my main internet in a b593

Zero issues

Im using a three 4g sim payg €20 pm as my main internet in a b593

Zero issues

Im guessing mobile operators say they won't work to scare people off using them and trying to tie them into a contract. Have seen the b593. Don't know if they are the newer version than b525 or not. Do you use the antennas and is it unlocked

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭coolisin

Using payg sim in both a dlink router and teltonika router zero issues €20 per month top up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Don't think there's any reason that it won't work. They may have some specific capability to block a device but it's very unlikely.

Which network? Bill or PAYG?

Ten Pin wrote: »
    Don't think there's any reason that it won't work. They may have some specific capability to block a device but it's very unlikely.

It's three. But I'm sure they are all the same. Does anyone recommend a very good router and what should I look for . I suppose any thing is better than using a phone as hot-spot

Have seen tp link router mr6400. Looks good. I don't know what the difference between them all

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭shigllgetcha

Ten Pin wrote: »

Three offer unlimited i dont think anyone else does

Personally i wouldnt sign up for 18 months on 4g, could go to ****e before the contract is up

Three offer unlimited i dont think anyone else does

Personally i wouldnt sign up for 18 months on 4g, could go to ****e before the contract is up

No way. Signed up before with eir and then Vodafone and despite starting off ok it soon went to pot. Got onto them and they couldn't care less

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭m99T

As for the router, have two TP Archer MR200's setup. One in Meath and one in Donegal. Both working perfect on a 3 PAYGO sim with unlimited data. Never had an issue, routers are fantastic. It has the 2.4 and 5g wireless bands covered and is also compatible as a standalone WAN router if you get another provider in.

They run you about 100 euro, you can pick them up in PCWorld as quick as you can drive there or Amazon / elsewhere online, and in areas with a good 4G signal you can just plug and play. In Donegal I have a cheap antenna setup on the roof. Works well.

Contention is still a massive issue. The 4G network throttles a lot in the evening.

Finally I can't remember why I did it but use the 3ireland.ie APN. Something to do with a DMZ'd hole poked through a firewall. Could be remembering that wrong but i'll let you know if I figure out exactly why I did it on both.

Handy enough to setup a directdebit topup on mythree.

If you've anything else you want to know, screenshots of the router etc, let me know.

m99T wrote: »
    As for the router, have two TP Archer MR200's setup. One in Meath and one in Donegal. Both working perfect on a 3 PAYGO sim with unlimited data. Never had an issue, routers are fantastic. It has the 2.4 and 5g wireless bands covered and is also compatible as a standalone WAN router if you get another provider in.

They run you about 100 euro, you can pick them up in PCWorld as quick as you can drive there or Amazon / elsewhere online, and in areas with a good 4G signal you can just plug and play. In Donegal I have a cheap antenna setup on the roof. Works well.

Contention is still a massive issue. The 4G network throttles a lot in the evening.

Finally I can't remember why I did it but use the 3ireland.ie APN. Something to do with a DMZ'd hole poked through a firewall. Could be remembering that wrong but i'll let you know if I figure out exactly why I did it on both.

Handy enough to setup a directdebit topup on mythree.

If you've anything else you want to know, screenshots of the router etc, let me know.

Thanks mt99. Are those routers u mentioned better than huawei b525 and the likes and they have facility for payg sim that's not mmb. What's the apn about. Why would I need it.

Thanks mt99. Are those routers u mentioned better than huawei b525 and the likes and they have facility for payg sim that's not mmb. What's the apn about. Why would I need it.

Personally can't comment. I've seen the Hauawei's in operation and they seem alright. They also feature 10/100/1000 WAN whereas the TP link tops out at 100 on the ports and 150mb/s on the 4G in comparison with the 300mb/s supported on the b525.

However I have yet to see a 4G network that can support more than 100mb/s.

Yeah both will support non MMB sim's. Unless your network does some MAD stuff to stop you from using it. Three sim's work fine in these routers.

APN is the login details for the network. The default one I think is 3internet but 3ireland.ie is what I have used on all my setups.

Personally can't comment. I've seen the Hauawei's in operation and they seem alright. They also feature 10/100/1000 WAN whereas the TP link tops out at 100 on the ports and 150mb/s on the 4G in comparison with the 300mb/s supported on the b525.

However I have yet to see a 4G network that can support more than 100mb/s.
    Yeah both will support non MMB sim's. Unless your network does some MAD stuff to stop you from using it. Three sim's work fine in these routers.

APN is the login details for the network. The default one I think is 3internet but 3ireland.ie is what I have used on all my setups.

Thanks mt99. I might be back onto you again if ok

Thanks mt99. I might be back onto you again if ok

Anytime!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

I have the MR200 as well, unlocked so can swap as I wish to any network, currently with eir, did have the 30 euro 50gb over 6 months but this has been discontinued, will try the 20 euro with three as suggested here.

august12 wrote: »
    I have the MR200 as well, unlocked so can swap as I wish to any network, currently with eir, did have the 30 euro 50gb over 6 months but this has been discontinued, will try the 20 euro with three as suggested here.

Do for sure. Its 100% against T&C but as long as you're not hosting a datacenter from your house you'll never hear a peep off them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Some info on link below that might help deciding on a router

https://editorsean.com/articles/pick-right-router-3g4g-broadband/

Do for sure. Its 100% against T&C but as long as you're not hosting a datacenter from your house you'll never hear a peep off them.

Im using it a while. When the Internet slows I think they are onto me lol. They were adamant when I rang them that I could not use a 3 phone sim on their broadband router.

Im using it a while. When the Internet slows I think they are onto me lol. They were adamant when I rang them that I could not use a 3 phone sim on their broadband router.

Haha, I know how you feel. Back when you could clone Virgin Media mac addresses in the North to get free internet I thought the same when the connection would dropout. Wouldn't bother with them at all.

• Advertisement
Advertisement