Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Missing your old class.?

Options
  • 17-08-2018 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭

Hi all , bit of a strange one but perhaps some more experienced teachers have went through something similar. The year before last I was working in a school for just the year, I had the same class for geography and history 5 times a week. I have to say we got on brilliantly, i think it may have been because I knew them and they knew me so well.

Now there were times i gave bad notes etc but never did these issues ever harm my relationship with pupils, in some cases they made them stronger. Anyway I knew coming near May that I might not be there the following year, it was around this time that the students began to ask about the following year (second year) and if they might have me again. I fobbed them off saying I really couldnt say for sure, some were anxious at this thought being first years but didnt ask much more.

At the end of the year I began to really have a knot in my stomach at the thought of leaving this class behind and perhaps never getting to teach them again. I know if I told them I was going it would be a bit OTT and I really couldnt handle all that emotion. I finished up the last few classes revising and talking about the summer exam, they were pretty caught up in this and studying but again asked would they have me next year, i assurred them i would be here and at least be training them at football if not teaching them. I have to say it was probably the most horrible lie I have ever told.

Overall I think I was having that heartbreak at leaving the school full stop as it was as close to perfect as I have experienced, by the way Im not overly hard to please! But good relationships between students and staff and between staff I would regard as being the most important thing in teaching to me. I had this in spades in this school. I moved on to another school which I also really like and get on great with staff and students but I still hurt a little at the thought of that class and school. I would take a job there again in the morning if it came up. Anyway sorry for the long story but has anyone ever felt this way teaching in a secondary school? This article in the Guardian sums up some of the emotions felt. As a 30 something man I never imagined I would ever feel this strongly about a class of teenagers, to be honest its very strange! Interested on other views.... https://www.theguardian.com/teacher-network/2015/nov/28/secret-teacher-loved-last-class-hard-let-go

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Dickie10 wrote: »
    Hi all , bit of a strange one but perhaps some more experienced teachers have went through something similar. The year before last I was working in a school for just the year, I had the same class for geography and history 5 times a week. I have to say we got on brilliantly, i think it may have been because I knew them and they knew me so well.

Now there were times i gave bad notes etc but never did these issues ever harm my relationship with pupils, in some cases they made them stronger. Anyway I knew coming near May that I might not be there the following year, it was around this time that the students began to ask about the following year (second year) and if they might have me again. I fobbed them off saying I really couldnt say for sure, some were anxious at this thought being first years but didnt ask much more.

At the end of the year I began to really have a knot in my stomach at the thought of leaving this class behind and perhaps never getting to teach them again. I know if I told them I was going it would be a bit OTT and I really couldnt handle all that emotion. I finished up the last few classes revising and talking about the summer exam, they were pretty caught up in this and studying but again asked would they have me next year, i assurred them i would be here and at least be training them at football if not teaching them. I have to say it was probably the most horrible lie I have ever told.

Overall I think I was having that heartbreak at leaving the school full stop as it was as close to perfect as I have experienced, by the way Im not overly hard to please! But good relationships between students and staff and between staff I would regard as being the most important thing in teaching to me. I had this in spades in this school. I moved on to another school which I also really like and get on great with staff and students but I still hurt a little at the thought of that class and school. I would take a job there again in the morning if it came up. Anyway sorry for the long story but has anyone ever felt this way teaching in a secondary school? This article in the Guardian sums up some of the emotions felt. As a 30 something man I never imagined I would ever feel this strongly about a class of teenagers, to be honest its very strange! Interested on other views.... https://www.theguardian.com/teacher-network/2015/nov/28/secret-teacher-loved-last-class-hard-let-go

Considering that you were posting about employment possibilities for NQTs a few weeks ago - you better get used to saying goodbye to classes. You will move schools several times in your career - I have been in plenty - have made good relationships with both staff and students and still have contacts with some staff members who I ring from time to time. A bit of advice - don't compare your new classes to the old or you will soon get a hatred for your job - those students will be the ideal and you will never have this again. You will meet nice classes and ones you can't wait to see the back off. You'll be a blubbering mess if you bring first years to Leaving Certificate :)

Advertisement