Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nissan Note failed NCT, High CO2 emissions.

Options
  • 17-08-2018 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi,
    I just failed my NCT with a 07 Nissan Note petrol.
    The readings we got were:
    Engine Temp: 85ºC
    Low Idle: CO .62vol%
    HC 117ppm
    High Idle: lambda .92
    CO 2.48vol%
    HC 457ppm

I have had to add oil on a regular basis recently but the car has been running smoothly both at high and low speeds. Does anyone know what might be causing the problem as I am already being encouraged by a mechanic to get an engine overhaul. approximately €2000. I should also add there is 295000KM on the clock.

Thanks
    Stephen

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

You have mega rich lambda, this is causing your issues. Fix the lambda reading and hope the cat is not damaged from running so rich and you will pass. The car cannot be running well looking a those readings

• Registered Users Posts: 12,158 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I mean the car is probably worth 2000 with a fesh NCT so is it worth spending the money on? Probably better off to cut your losses and sell it.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,570 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

MadYaker wrote: »
    I mean the car is probably worth 2000 with a fesh NCT so is it worth spending the money on? Probably better off to cut your losses and sell it.

Who is going to buy an 07 with no NCT?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Cushenst

rex-x wrote: »
    You have mega rich lambda, this is causing your issues. Fix the lambda reading and hope the cat is not damaged from running so rich and you will pass. The car cannot be running well looking a those readings
    Thanks for your quick reply. Is there anything we can easily do to fix the lambda reading.
    Do you have to replace one of the sensors such as the lambda or o2 sensor?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

It depends on why the lambda reading is incorrect, unfortunately nobody on the internet can tell you. It will need a decent mechanic to properly diagnose the issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

295.000 km and drinking oil?

Unless that car has sentimental value for you, I'd say that's it.
    Nobody in their right mind will buy a car with mileage that high...new NCT or not.
    You did well actually to get that much out of such a small engine.

Even if you got the engine fixed/replaced at that high mileage other things are waiting to go wrong (gearbox, suspension, etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Cars51

Your best bet here is to get a mechanic who has experience of looking after older high mileage cars. Myself I have gotten great value from older cars and a good part of the success is having a mechanic as described above. There are many mechanics like that, someone who is operating on their own, not a mainstream big garage, they have too many overheads and bills to pay. The small guy with maybe one other person is where to look. Best of luck with the Note which is a good car.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Max Moment

I wouldn’t right the car off just yet without getting a proper diagnosis from a good mechanic and see if it’s worth saving. If it’s the 1.6 Petrol engine (HR16de), I’ve the same engine in my 07 Qashqai and it’s still going strong at 350K km. Regular oil changes and correct spec oil is key to keeping this engine sweet.

I agree that the car would be hard to shift at that high mileage if you wanted to sell, but if you are happy with it, the car is otherwise sound and you can get the emissions sorted fairly cheaply, I’d be inclined to hold onto it yourself as it owes you nothing most likely at this stage.

You could spend a few thousand buying a new car and run into similar trouble down the road. Better the devil you know sometimes...

Food for thought anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 johnopc67

Hi, did you ever get to the cause/solution of this problem? My mothers car just had the same NCT fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,917 ✭✭✭User1998

The solution will be different for each car. The above advise stands. Bring it to a good mechanic who will look after you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement