Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hikes for landscape photography without a car

Options
  • 17-08-2018 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

Hi all. I got into photography several years ago as a hobby and recently became more interested in landscape photography. I mix my photography and hiking when I travel with friends who drive but unfortunately I haven't really had the opportunity to do this often in Ireland as I don't drive.

Are there any hikes you'd recommend for good landscape shots where a car isn't necessary? I don't mind travelling across the country by train or bus and staying somewhere overnight if I have to, but it has to be a hike that doesn't require a car.

Comments

Train to Killarney, bus out to Torc, boardwalk up to top, great views...

http://www.killarneyshuttlebus.com/muckross-route/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

http://www.glendaloughbus.com/
    St Kevins bus will get you from Dublin city centre to Roundwood/Glendalough.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,714 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Genuinely have you thought about biking to locations .

You don't state where your based so TBF not easy to recommend anything

• Registered Users Posts: 64,939 ✭✭✭✭unkel

listermint wrote: »
    Genuinely have you thought about biking to locations .

You don't state where your based so TBF not easy to recommend anything

His location is Dublin :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,714 ✭✭✭✭listermint

unkel wrote: »
    His location is Dublin :)

Hard to know with the username. :)

• Advertisement

listermint wrote: »
    Hard to know with the username. :)

The bit below his username where it says 'Location: Dublin' leaves little doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭sheepman

CardinalJ wrote: »
    http://www.glendaloughbus.com/
    St Kevins bus will get you from Dublin city centre to Roundwood/Glendalough.

I've been to Glendalough a few times but now that I think about it, I never actually brought my camera. I love this hike and the views from up top so this is a good start.

I don't even have a bike as I'm not much of a cyclist :) No car, no bike, I know...

Thank you everyone for responding here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭tphase

there are lots of places to access the hills off the N59 if you get a bus driver who will let you off in the middle of nowhere - some of them will only drop you at designated stops, most are not that tight-arsed.
    The starting points below will allow you access the Maamturks, the 12 Bens, Joyce country, the Partry and Ben Gorm mountains

On the Galway-Clifden section you could stop at Maam Cross, Recess (get the driver to drop you at the church rather than the village), Ben Lettery hostel (I think that is a stop but not sure). Towards Westport I'd look at starting from Leenane, the Louisburgh turnoff (R335 near Aasleagh Falls), Glenacally Bridge or the Erriff Bridge. Check http://mountainviews.ie/ for route information

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

The St Kevin's bus will let you out at Calary so you can walk to the sugarloaf.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

The three rock – you can get some amazing views and pictures from the tors in the right light. The 14, 16 and 75 buses will take you very close. And from here you can access Tibradden, Cruagh and the Hell Fire Club.

The top of Bray head is another good viewing / picture point – access via Dart.

The Bus Eireann 133 will get you to kilmacanogue for access to the big and little sugar loafs and the glen of the downs. I recommend the little sugar loaf - great views and very uncrowded.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Stroll around Howth Head too, some nice views their. Dart, Dublin Bus.

At this time of the year, you might get some nice pics of the deer in Glendalough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Get the Wexford train to Rathdrum, you can hike to Laragh / Glendalough or Glenmalure, or stay local and go to Avondale house and walk the avonmore river. Plenty of landscape shots available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

OP I am going to assume you are using a Digital Camera.

My suggestion: Why not buy a disposable Fuji / Kodak Camera / Boots "Hi Quality" camera (for using Film): They won't break the Bank.

Don't bother with any other disposable camera brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,043 ✭✭✭✭neris

Howth & Sutton. Cliff walk paths, forests and hills up around Deer park with great 360 degree views from the top

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭sheepman

5rtytry56 wrote: »
    OP I am going to assume you are using a Digital Camera.

My suggestion: Why not buy a disposable Fuji / Kodak Camera / Boots "Hi Quality" camera (for using Film): They won't break the Bank.

Don't bother with any other disposable camera brand.

Why are you suggesting a film camera? I have an X-T20 that I'm quite happy with.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

On a weekday, from the Luas station in Dundrum, 44B will take you up to Glencullen with options of hiking further, or back towards Dublin.

Also, Luas to Tallaght and then up to Bohernabreena valley with lots of room to roam there.

Advertisement