Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lino

Options
  • 17-08-2018 3:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭

Hi, I live in a rented house. I was mopping the floors a few days ago, and there has been a horrible smell coming from the flooring (lino) under my bed for a while now (I haven't been able to check it properly until now, the room is tiny, and to check under the bed, the bed and mattress need to be propped against the facing wall, and they are heavy), so I decided to check it out properly when possible. I noticed a while back that where the lino has lifted from the corner of the room (under my bed, where the smell is coming from), that there is a second layer underneath. However, When I rechecked, the second layer of lino had lifted at the corner, too, and there was a third layer under that. The third layer stinks, I think this is where the smell is coming from. I mopped the accessible areas of the 3 layers and the back of the first two, and made sure to properly dry them, before 'relayering' them, but there is still a smell. The third layer was stained and dirty, but I cleaned the section I could access. I'm just not sure what to do. The lino is not laid properly, it is old, and it smells. Is there anything anyone here can Recommend? There's no other option as far as moving the bed goes.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

Lino or vinyl to give it its proper name should never be laid on top of each other. The vinyl needs to breath to prevent condensation which is exactly what is happening in your case. Condensation leads to damp which leads to mold and hence the smell. Only solution is to whip all the layers up Let the room dry out and get new vinyl laid

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭ash777

Luckysasha wrote: »
    Lino or vinyl to give it its proper name should never be laid on top of each other. The vinyl needs to breath to prevent condensation which is exactly what is happening in your case. Condensation leads to damp which leads to mold and hence the smell. Only solution is to whip all the layers up Let the room dry out and get new vinyl laid
    Thank you, that makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭sky6

+1

But make sure to wear a mask when removing it, As Mold spores are dangerous to your health.

Advertisement