Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

why is there no 1080p output available for SKY+HD Box?

Options
  • 17-08-2018 1:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,714 ✭✭✭✭

does anyone know what the reasoning of the SKY+ HD box wont output 1080p signal through the HDMI cable - you can go into the settings and take it off 'manual' and even set '720p' if you want but 1080 only goes up to 1080i (interlace, not progressive) - I have often wondered why this is ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Is there any channel broadcasting in 1080p?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,714 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

lertsnim wrote: »
    Is there any channel broadcasting in 1080p?

ah that could explain why then. I suppose if there is no channel broadcasting in 1080p then its not worth adding the setting to the box . Maybe they have left it at 1080i so that later on if they need to they can add 1080p through a future firmware/software for the box .

What are we looking at here the difference between 1080i and 1080p - is it very discernible the eyes between the 2 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭skallywag

I don't think I have seen any HD sat content that was 1080p, it's all 1080i as far as I know, as it takes less bandwidth (= cost) to broadcast. This will change of course as the providers move away from satellite towards broadband delivery of content.

If you want to see the difference then hook up a bluray player, they are normally 1080p I believe?

Advertisement