Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A House in 2 Phases?

Options
  • 16-08-2018 7:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34

Hi all, looking for some advice, has anyone ever built a house in two phases?

I may get mortgage approval for €140,000 and was thinking of building a 100sqm house which I could extend by a further 100sqm in the future.

The house could be designed in such a way where the Kitchen could become the future Utility Room etc...

Has anyone done this before or is it absolutely crazy? A site has come up in the area - 0.5 acres.

I feel it may be my only option with spiralling house prices! I'm not renting and live at home which is not a long term option...!

A family friend recently built a new home but did enquire about building a 60sqm garage (for habitable purposes to begin with) - however his Architect advised against it as the Council would not approve!

Anyone have other ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 GreenFields123

Enquiring about a 200sqm self-build myself, however, your suggestion seems a good idea - if feasible?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

It’s going to cost a lot more to do it in two phases like that. It’s a bigger cost upfront but if you can afford it build the whole shell but only finish half the house. Eg if it’s two storey with one bedroom downstairs then you do all downstairs but nothing upstairs. No heating, no electrics, no plasterboard, no plastering, no doors, no tiles or floor finishes, no stairs, etc. (you might have one light and a smoke alarm or whatever is required for regulations). It’s basically a dry shell or very large attic that you can expand into at a later date. You’ll still have to build the outer walls and put in the windows, etc upstairs so it’s going to cost more than just building a 100sqm house but will work out better financially in the long term. That’s what I’d try and do if money allows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 GreenFields123

Cheers Dudda, appreciate your opinion.

In the case of a dormer with a large attic, this could be left undeveloped it would be be easy to insulate along the ceiling joists.

I much prefer full height rooms upstairs, therefore a two storey is more appealing. However, if going the Opt Out route (without Certification), is there as much pressure to show compliance with the BER? I'm just thinking about the unfinished first floor open to the ground floor via stair opening, would it be best to close off any double height openings and insulate?

Also if using hollow core precast units upstairs, can mineral wool insulation be placed across the entire first floor on a temporary basis?

Sorry for the questions, was doing a lot of thinking about it today.

Any further comments would be welcome from anyone, thank you so much!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 professorA

Thanks Dudda and Greenfields123!

In relation to heating, would I be paying for the entire building in terms of heating - is it possible to keep the heating at ground floor only?

Advertisement