Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House extension without planning permission

Options
  • 16-08-2018 7:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭

Hi all
    A house behind me and 2 doors down applied for planning permission for a 2 storey extension and attic conversion with dormer to the rear. They were granted permission on the basis the 1st floor extension be omitted and the dormer scaled back. They ignored the decision and went ahead with the original plan. Its a compact urban site with small yards backing onto each other; terraced houses circa 100 years old.

When I checked the council website and saw they had no planning I thought about objecting but because it wasn't directly overlooking me I didn't - live and let live and all that. The 1st floor extension isn't too bad (although I don't know how my neighbours didn't object as its almost right to their boundary walls and completely overlooking). The project has developed a bit today and the window in the dormer is huge (almost the entire back wall area) and is now overlooking my yard. I'm not happy with it but also don't want to be responsible for tearing down an extension - though the more it progresses the more out of place it looks.

My bigger concern is that this will set a precedent and the houses directly behind will be able to do the same - might this be the case? i.e. can a house without planning set precedent?
    Any opinions on how to proceed / any insights?
    Thanks
    ftc

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Send your concerns in writing to the Planning Enforcement Section of your local council. They will investigate and take whatever actions required.

What council area are you in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Glass fused light

To proceed you can either inform the council enforcement team and follow up with an official written complaint if that is what they request or you can do nothing and live with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭feartheclaw

kceire wrote: »
    Send your concerns in writing to the Planning Enforcement Section of your local council. They will investigate and take whatever actions required.

What council area are you in.

DCC. They want an official written complaint.
    My main question is could this cause a precedent for further similar development if I decide I can live with it?
    Thanks

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

DCC. They want an official written complaint.

Standard procedure. They legally only investigate planning complaints made and it must be done in writing. You can email the complaint to planningenforcement@dublincity.ie

Your details are confidential, will never be released under FOI or if it goes to court, hence why the Plan Enf Officers carry out their own investigation so that any court proceedings that may arise are based on fact.
    My main question is could this cause a precedent for further similar development if I decide I can live with it?
    Thanks

Yes, it can and does.
    If it remains then another development may use it as precedent in the future, especially if it remains well past the statue of limitation period.

Advertisement