Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gutter Downpipe Straps

Options
  • 16-08-2018 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

Having a look around the gaf before the winter draws in I noticed a few of the downpipes were loose, an investigation revealed either broken(on one side) or missing downpipe straps to be the cause. Now while this is not a huge job to remedy while looking at the broken downpipe straps I noticed they all broke or snapped in the same place, just where the side of the strap meets the wall and there is a little piece of plactic that juts out of the strap on either side to hold the downpipe steady or in place. Looking at the straps they are made of hard plastic and it's a stretch to think the wind does this. The break is typically a straight line. Is this a common occurance with plastic downpipe straps and is there anything I can do to prevent this. I know the straps are not expensive or difficult to put on it's just a hassel having to do it and sometimes getting the old screws/rawplugs out can be a nuisance. Having said that the ones that broke were there over 5 years probably nearer 10.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,728 ✭✭✭✭listermint

The generally brake from manual action ie people. Are they all at people height. Then there's your answer.

Don't discount the force of wind though it can be heightened by passageways

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

UV stabilised PVC is only resistant to UV rays for a while after that it can get brittle as do most plastics.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Drakus

Thanks guys, replaced them with straps you can get from Woodies. Hardest part of job was getting the old screws out.

Advertisement