Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transport staff taking abuse from travelling public

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,145 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Unless they take a swing at you first that behaviour is not on, case for common assault

The policy is deescalate or step back and get assistance, failure to comply with company procedures and policies means P45

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

A warning should have Been enough after 8 years of clean employment,

Meanwhile the dragged up teens get a slap on the back and likely get a personal injury claim for PTSD

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Oh I understand it was not policy, but I still think the provocation should have been enough that the punishment would have been a warning or something. I'd be fairly sure he got abuse many times he never reported. All those little incidents add up.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I do feel sorry for him, but it sounds like everything was above board and he'd had his due process.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,856 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Bit ironic given the anti-racism public transport campaign recently trumpeted.

A man lost his job, meanwhile those teens can snigger and laugh at his expense, learning nothing of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

spurious wrote: »
    Must say I felt sorry for this man losing his unfair dismissal claim.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/luas-ticket-inspector-who-attempted-to-punch-youth-after-insult-loses-unfair-dismissal-claim-37222652.html

I'd say you'd be driven to react dealing with that sort of abuse from some people's little darlings day in day out.

What transdev suggests is to walk away and let the scrotes do what they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Tickityboo

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    What transdev suggests is to walk away and let the scrotes do what they want.

Yep!! God forbid you give some little **** a smack that has being causing trouble for everyone else and abusing you from a height incase you upset him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭Xterminator

i thought the logic of the employer was reasonable.

we provided you with good quality ongoing training in dealing with customers, conflict management and how to de escalate a situation. you didnt follow the training provided. & you attempted to assault a member of the public. as mentioned earlier taking the 1st swing at someone is assault. so transdev would have been liable for lawsuit if he had made contact.

would you as an employer be comfortable with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

^^^^^

I agree, though the man has lost his €55k a year job + benefits. Where is he going to get that elsewhere? Not many low skill jobs paying that salary. This impacts him and his family for what was a moment of madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,856 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

i thought the logic of the employer was reasonable.

we provided you with good quality ongoing training in dealing with customers, conflict management and how to de escalate a situation. you didnt follow the training provided. & you attempted to assault a member of the public. as mentioned earlier taking the 1st swing at someone is assault. so transdev would have been liable for lawsuit if he had made contact.

would you as an employer be comfortable with that?

Conflict training is a crock of sh1t as are most things dreamt up by management types who never had to do a minute of this in their lives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭StreetLight

myshirt wrote: »
    ^^^^^

I agree, though the man has lost his €55k a year job + benefits. Where is he going to get that elsewhere? Not many low skill jobs paying that salary. This impacts him and his family for what was a moment of madness.

With low skills and a salary like that, he should be able to waltz into the likes of Dublin Bus. Or so the many bashers of public transport employees on this forum would have you believe.

Conflict training is a crock of sh1t as are most things dreamt up by management types who never had to do a minute of this in their lives.

It's only a arse covering exercise and doesn't help much in real life incidents.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

With low skills and a salary like that, he should be able to waltz into the likes of Dublin Bus. Or so the many bashers of public transport employees on this forum would have you believe.

Fair enough on the Dublin bus point. It is low skill low effort. But he won't get 55, he'll be talking 40 at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭veryangryman

It's only a arse covering exercise and doesn't help much in real life incidents.

Watching "cant pay well take it away" the staff seem excellently trained and professional at dealing with low lifes.

Watching "cant pay well take it away" the staff seem excellently trained and professional at dealing with low lifes.

Different horses for different courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,214 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Different horses for different courses.

Both involve taking dogs abuse from people who dont want to pay for something. Initiating violence with people like that is not the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Both involve taking dogs abuse from people who dont want to pay for something. Initiating violence with people like that is not the answer.

Wouldnt be so sure these days. You can only reason with people, not feral scrotes who waste their days out of their head on drink and drugs. Those types ONLY understand force and nothing else. If anything if we had proper law enforcement and transport police these ferals would have been arrested there and then and charged with drunk and disorderly behaviour. Now these wasters will laugh they got someone sacked and get worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,010 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

On camera perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,106 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Transport Police. It's been called for since the noughties from various quarters. May even go further back. Still ignored.

I feel sorry for the guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

myshirt wrote: »
    Fair enough on the Dublin bus point. It is low skill low effort. But he won't get 55, he'll be talking 40 at best.

Luas ticket inspectors don't get 55k a year and driving a bus is not a low skill effort

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,674 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

The right decision even if overly harsh. Out of interest do RPU wear body cameras?

Racial abuse, stabbings all on the Green Line and they say the Red is bad :P

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Out of interest do RPU wear body cameras

I don't think so. I think it's only the STT Guards that do.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,674 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Stephen15 wrote: »
    I don't think so. I think it's only the STT Guards that do.

They do, heard a few having a conversation a few months ago about an incident and I was truly shocked how the company and tram operator handled it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Feel sorry for the public transport staff who have to deal with the nick nacks that frequent our public transport system....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Jack Moore

spurious wrote: »
    Must say I felt sorry for this man losing his unfair dismissal claim.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/luas-ticket-inspector-who-attempted-to-punch-youth-after-insult-loses-unfair-dismissal-claim-37222652.html

I'd say you'd be driven to react dealing with that sort of abuse from some people's little darlings day in day out.

In the black mass movie bio Whitey says it best
    “ what did you do wrong”
    “ you did it in a way that got you caught!”

Was he wrong well that debateable but in this situation he had to lose his job .

• Registered Users Posts: 81,501 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Body cams would protect these guys so much and give a proper account of what actually happened, scummers would be reluctant to be on camera giving abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

whooah! 55k a year!!!!!! WTF?

I'm sure every doorman in the city would pounce on that!

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    They do, heard a few having a conversation a few months ago about an incident and I was truly shocked how the company and tram operator handled it.

Must be something introduced only recently. I have to say though I have found Luas ticket inspectors to be a little smart arse at times whereas the on the rare ocassion I have come across Dublin Bus ticket inspectors they seemed a bit more polite and friendly.

• Site Banned Posts: 160 ✭✭dermo888

I - for one am sick and tired of the feral skangers that infest our city. A plain clothes 'secret police' is needed in Ireland to round up the skangers, and remove them from society. Give them 'accidental deliberate' overdoses of Fentanyl, it will merely accelerate an inevitable process. Our cities will be safer, cleaner, and better. It will help save the taxpayer money, and release social housing for the genuine honest native working class people of Dublin who genuinely need it. Not this dirt, who ruin our city, contribute nothing, and bleed us dry. 

Lets Make Ireland Great Again. Make Skangers history!!!!

I am sure - sadly, I will be accused of being a fascist. I don't like labels. I am speaking common sense, and common sense should be applied to Mr Shafiq in this case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭veryangryman

On camera perhaps.

It's an approach that seems to work is my point. Of course there'd be more "GTFO" at a certain point etc off camera. Point is they'd start soft but firm and take it up a gear if the gowls put their hands on them.

Advertisement